The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Too much regardless. I'd say 400bu atleast. Seems all these huge nib extinsions are always in Minnesota for some reason.

Take care,

Nathan

·
Registered
521 Posts
Gotta love those "nib" extensions! Just playin' w/ya AGCO!

Really, though, that extension is way too big! If I were selling that combine, I would remove that thing! THAT much weight will do all sorts of bad things to a combine's frame & bin.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I would love to be a dealer service manager or factory rep for a day when someone calls in for warranty work on a combine with that kind of bin extension. "No" is such a good lesson teacher.

Too many are just plain dumb to think that a combine, tractor, etc. is built with excess capability beyond the limits of factory features and specs. Today's manufacturers aren't going to give you anything extra for good measure!

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Thank you, Muddy. I have sent them an e-mail, loaded with many questions ad as well as comments on this. I want to know just how the combines themselves are stregthened [if they are] before adding these big load extensions.

As I have said before on the other thread, it's one thing to add 60 bushels, but this kind of stuff is just way out of line--without proper measures.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have a maurer with flip ups on my 9600 and it will hold about 375 max and I thought that was plenty..... usually load it to around 350 95% of the time.

Can't imagine what the tires look like with 500 on or how fast the loading auger wears out.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Ha!!

I looked at the mfg. webpage and noticed the spilled corn on the cab, looks like its is getting used to the max!!!

I would hate to be running that rig when the final drive or axle goes POP!!!

jd

·
Registered
894 Posts
Can you imagine buying a 1 or 2 year old combine and not knowing that it had been run by the previous owner with one of these hyper extended bin extensions and the final drive goes out on you as a result? You're stuck paying for the arrogance of a rollover junky, while he's out running a new piece of equipment that'll never see a grease gun as long as he runs it. Which brings me to another point, the primary excuse for wanting to run extensions this large, what is the fascination with being able to harvest through a quarter or half mile field of corn without dumping (with today's genetics, that's nuts)? I've been farming fields this large for years and have never once had any issue with stopping, backing up, cutting a pocket out so the auger cart and tractor can get next to me to unload. I just thought this was the standard operating procedure for opening long rows. You really only have to do it once per field. Besides, a half mile x 12 row corn head = 1.82 acres, and at 200 bpa = 364 bu. So, why 500 bu. extensions? I can under stand 350 - 375. bu.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
We have a customer that has a John Deere 9500 and has one of those grain bin extensions, he has not had a problem. He most of the time combines by himself and needs to go one or two rounds, he is careful. If you you have seen he's equipment you can tell that he takes really great care.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
The combine is original, no other supports, no duals, i have worked on it for other things that have happen, he doesn't overwork it. Can not remember the hours on it.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Combiness if you know him he will not let any of his equipment out side over night or get rained on. We can not wash it off at after working on it. Everything looks NEW that his has, but it is a few years old. It takes great care of everthing.

·
Registered
894 Posts
www.dickswelding.com

I can't believe combine mfg's put up with this. Take a look under the specifications and notice the 500+ bu. capacity for STS's. An STS is physically not capable of carrying that much weight (no combine is), especially when running a 12+ row corn head, no matter its row spacing.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If green isn't your thing, how about this?

http://www.machinefinder.com/photo_more.....&pageseq=417934

The fields around Windom (home of Dicks Welding) and Mankato are nice and flat. I've seen many of these toppers on walker and rotor machines. It's nice to be able to start lands without stopping and dumping in the grain cart. Not that I'm endorsing these. To those with warranty concerns, a farmer north of me put one on a 9610, bent the frame/sheetmetal where the walkers start and the dealership said, "sorry". The combine still worked, it just looked like an old camel between the humps. (Okay, not that bad, but it was noticeable!)

·
Registered
321 Posts
I believe that is the exact point Combiness is concerned about.......

To the poster from Columbus , NE:

It doesn't matter how well taken care of a machine is, 500 bushel is to much and odds are someone with a goodlookin', well maintained rig can stiill have a broke or bent in half machine or lose a final drive just as easy.

jd

·
Registered
475 Posts
IF I could ever figure out how to get the photo off my phone and on to the web, I could post an image of the frame that supports the bin on a 9750 with a 12" crack in it. The crack was near the right rear corner of the cab. Operator had a 400 bu extention on it (Crary?). It looked like a Crary with the 6" lip on it. http://www.crary.com/bigtop.html

1 - 20 of 20 Posts