The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advice on troubleshooting a 9600 that won't start. Batteries are good. Machine started once, ran for 20 min. then shut it down, now nothing! All switches are off in the cab, moved the hydro lever around trying to find a sweet spot, no luck. Do these machines have anything known to be a problem, machine has not been ran much in the last year, signs of mice damage. TIA

·
Registered
318 Posts
Well, when I saw the title, the first thing I was going to suggest was the battery, but maybe there could be a faulty connection somewhere?

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
There can be a number of different things, one is the starter relay by the starter, you will have to take the back grain bin panel off to get to it, if it has volts to the small wire and not on both big connectors wires then that is the problem when the key is on start, the next is the wire connector below the engine controller on the back engine panel, it's a 16 pin and only uses 8 pins wires, it is pin number 12 on the connector wire 107, it could be the relay that is Okay to start in the main fuse panel and the others is harded to tell under the armrest.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It will not crank. I did not know that the swing switch had to be in the middle position, in fact I didn't take notice of there being three positions, I am guessing that is what I am doing wrong, I am used to the caseih system and that switch is not like that. Guess I will find out soon. Thanks for the advice. hydro.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Sometimes on our 9600 you have to turn the unloading auger and pop it back down. Deere mechanic showed it to me.

·
Registered
521 Posts
If it had never done anything (started/cranked/ran), I would think that the auger switch not being centered was the culprit. You said it ran, though, then [it] quit.
You may have answered your own question when you mentioned signs of mice.
A wire may have been 'together' ~just enough~ to start, then vibration (when running) may have may it fray all the way..?? (
It's not a crime to rhime..
hehe)

Gosh, who knows??

When you get ready to start it again, get up in the engine compartment and pump the [diesel] hand/primer pump good. Lots of 9600s are hard to start after sitting a while; but most of them will start great if a person will prime the system good via the primer pump...keep on pumping it until you hear fuel returning back to the tank per the return line. Then, get in there and make sure all of your switches are in the 'neutral' position. Have the auger switch in the 'middle' position, and the throttle in the 'turtle' position. That ~should~ do it, amigo...If not, I'll bet Mickey Rat is to blame.....Chasing down gremlins or chewed-up wires would not be fun, as there are ~miles~ of wire(s) (seems like, anyway) running through that machine~ Let us know if you get 'er goin'.

Regards,
TxFarmer

~If you don't need the rain, pray it down this way to me!~

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. Easy fix, it was operator error, I had swung the auger out and back in while it was running and left the switch in the in position. I did find some chewed wires but nothing too serious. Hydro.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts