The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how these machines compare? We are looking to go with one combine to replace 9500 & 7720 & get more done. Is the CTS any good in corn & beans? What about straw quality? We are used to the conv. combine now; is the CTS a lot different to operate & maintain? We were thinking of 30' head for beans And 12R30 for corn on a 9600, would a CTS handle that? Any comments;advice welcome. Thanks..............Paul

·
Registered
192 Posts
Why not go one better and get a STS, We had a 7720 and replaced it with a 9750 STS. You don`t get a better machine in corn/beans.

·
Registered
342 Posts
We operated a CTS II for 8 years along with a 8820 and later on a STS. You can also do a search on this subject because it seems like once or twice a month a question similar to yours pops up. Should be plenty of info out there.

Answer to you first question.

JD made 2 versions of the CTS, a rice version and a small grains version. Said right on the side of the machine, Rice or Small grains. That should tell you if they are a good corn/bean machine

Answer to your 2nd question.

They chew the straw up just as good as a rotary. JD initially labled the CTS as easy on the straw compared to a true rotor. We didn't find that to be true and it almost seems like JD backed off the claim later on.

Answer to your 3rd question.

They are a lot different to set and operate but the maintenance isn't any more difficult. Instead of wearing out strawalker blocks, you just have to keep an eye on the tines and the beater since the material goes over the beater instead of underneath it. The beater bars have to be kept in good shape to grab the material.

Point is, with your crops I would look at a bigger conventional like a 96XX series or a 60 series or newer STS if you want to stay green.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies;I would go to STS but that is beyond our budget. Need to get machine<75K, next one will be STS hopefully. I was interested to know if the CTS could hold with a 9600 in corn? JD95 you said they made a rice & grain version so you're telling me they aren't much good in corn? Paul

·
Registered
342 Posts
JD advertised the CTS to work in rice and later on small grains. I happened to pick up a original CTS brochures when they first came out and JD said they would work in corn/soybeans but not as good as the conventionals. Then later on I picked up a CTS II brochure and they don't even mention corn. We grown mostly wheat and barley so it made perfect sense to us to buy one. Seems like in corn a CTS won't have any advantage over a 9500 in terms of productivity. Somebody with actual experience with this will hopefully chime in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts