The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 9610 with the standard chopper. The chopper is pathetic to say the least. We have been no tilling for a last couple few years, and have noticed an increased need for proper residue management.

I am looking for some advice as to what aftermarket chopper we should put on this machine. It needs to be capable of spreading 36 feet, and chopping residue finely. (Like what a rotary combine with a chopper would produce) I have seen what the fine cut chopper deere offers does, and its not acceptable, better, but not great.

I understand it takes more hp to chop straw finely, but its either we burn more fuel at harvest or more fuel after harvest dealing with the straw in another operation (heavy harrowing).

We grow durum, canary seed, peas, lentils and canola. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
778 Posts
http://combineforums.proboards.com/index....ad=12797&page=1

I agree the Deere chopper is nothing spectacular. Plus Deere chopper rotors have a high failure rate due to inferior design. The Redekop extra fine cut will give you want you want guaranteed. I've sold dozens in the last few years and not one customer disappointed.

There are other options (Rodono, TSR) but they are no better than the Deere, just cheaper.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I also am not happy with my residue management, I have a case 7010 with a standard chopper and in 80+ bushel wheat I have a hard time planting beans back into it. I have a redekop ordered that I am picking up today. From my research it looks like the best out there. A little pricey but in no-till it has to be right. You will spend 10 grand or a little more depending on what setup you need. But one failed stand after wheat can be a lot more than that! Good luck.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Wow! I didn't have a clue that a 1st class chopper would cost $ ten grand !!
I know you get what you pay for....I suppose it's just sticker shock

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ya ,I about fell over to when I asked what it costs
But after having a poor stand of soybeans after heavy residue wheat, I knew I had to do something. Got it home tonight, very heavy duty, looks good. We will find out in about a month.

·
Registered
778 Posts
All the Redekop units come with dual belt drive. The unit for the 7010 is the most expensive one at $9750 CDN. Exchange is at 0.88 today so thats quite a bit less than 10g. Hope you're not getting ripped off. Did you buy direct or dealer?

Too bad you don't have a Deere. They all use existing housings and some use existing drives so the cost is 3-5g for the same setup.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I ordered extra belts and a couple of other things to have around, plus the freight from Canada to Kansas wasn't cheap. I fugure the salesman made $1000 bucks or so. I thought that was plenty, but I really need to make a change, and far as I know he is the only dealer anywhere close to here.
Ya he said the deere setup was quite a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had a customer I cut for that though he would have to heavy harrow 50+ bushel stubble after we harvested with the MAV chopper he said he wouldn't have to. For the 9600 it is about 4k but worth every penny!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts