The Combine Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to upgrade an 8820 titan 2. Dealer has come up with a 98 9610 and also 97 CTS Both around the same hours. 9610 has a few more options like yield and moisture and sunnybrook cylinder. Approx 10 k split from CTS up to the 9610. Crops harvested are HRSW, Canola, Winter wheat, peas, barley and fall rye. Any advice greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
289 Posts
That's a heck of a jump. Being a Deere guy myself I'd go with the 9610.

Gotta ask yourself, what would I be more happy with?

·
Registered
590 Posts
How heavy and tough are your straw conditions?
Are there a lot of Lexions in the area?
Or, does the 8820 walker handle your crops, ok?
If so, stick with the walker.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If we get the rains we can have lots of straw.. I;m most concerned about the CTS in canola as this takes up close to half of our acres.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I've got 2 8820s a 9660sts and a cts. My opinion would be your going to see about a 5% jump in capacity in cereals going to a stock 9610, maybe a wee bit more in canola. With a cts probably a 50% jump in cereals, canola maybe a wash. In saying that the 9610 with the sunnybrook cylinder changes things substantially. I have no first hand experience with the high inertia cylinders. But I would still give the advantage to the cts in cereals.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I have one titan2. Your not going to gain anything by going to a 9610 except the sensation of some shinier paint and a quieter cab and buddy seat, which may be worth it to you. That 8820 will run forever and it will be running long after this new junk that's out there. The first time we ever had a JD mechanic on our farm was to fix that sts and just about needed one for the cts. Why you ask? One word "electronics". If my old guys were still willing to sit in the seat all day I'd still be running 8820s. For the crops we grow their never was and still isn't a good reason to run a 96 over an 8820.
If you want to run one combine and thrash more grain you need to go to a rotary, and to be honest I wouldn't buy an sts with over 1500sep hrs unless you new that it was maintained really well, and they're bringing more than they're worth. My advice would be to go through that 8820 real well, stick your money in the bank or buy some land cause that 9610 ain't gonna make you more money than that 8820.
If you don't like that advice buy the cts cause that 9610 will be a dog in canola too.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We are't looking for too much more capacity we do alright with the 88 just sneaking up there in hours, also we are keeping the old combine for doing peas to save the "New" one a little bit of dirt and rock wear. Leaning more towards the 9610 for the canola advantage as well as being a more familiar machine.

·
Registered
342 Posts
We ran a CTS II for 8 years along side a 8820 and later on a 9760 STS. If you acreage is half canola I would lean towards the 9610. If your acreage was mostly small grains then the CTS would be the better combine. Besides the capacity increase, the CTS generally will give you a better sample especially in barley.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"If your acreage was mostly small grains then the CTS would be the better combine. Besides the capacity increase, the CTS generally will give you a better sample especially in barley."

Well as a basis here next years plan:

35% Canola
35% HRSW
15% Winter wheat
15% Peas

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I don't think you'll go wrong with the 9610, it will be a pleasure to run, a little easier to work on, and it is nice to get different gear. It's smart on your part to keep the 88, headers interchange, and they're cheap enough to keep as a backup or second combine if something unforeseen happens. How many hours on the 88?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The CTS is a dog in canola but can be made better with the right parts, you may be better off going with the 9610, since you have a walker now it may make things easier.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'd go with the 9610. The CTS is terrible for splitting peas. We have used the CTS, CTS11, 8820T2,9600 and the 9610. CTS is more costly per acre in parts in the long run. A 9610 with the Sunnybrook would be my choice instantly.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
You will be happy with the 9610. Had one with all the sunny brook parts plus a chip in it. In dry conditions it had a bit of an edge over a normal 9600 but in wet conditions it was really impressive. Probaly could run for another couple of hours at night compared to a normal one.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
for me it would be take the 9610 no contest.....now had they built the cts in north america on the 9600 body that would be another story

·
Registered
86 Posts
we have a 9610, and had a cts out in the fall, the cts would blow me away in barley, and do wheat a bit better, peas i'd stick with the 9610 also, and it does alot better in canola then the cts i thought, but if you have alot of straw and a dew, like we had through this harvest the 9610 was doing alot longer days, but its up to you. but i'd rather be MAXIMIZING.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts