The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We run 2 9610 combines with 936D headers.I you want to greatly increase your combine capacity for very little investment try this.Buy the slow down kit for the beater and install it backwards it will increase your beater by 25%.Then buy a power module and a pyrometer from Bully dog.We have put these in the field beside a 9860 w/no bullet rotor and there was only 1/2 a mph diff.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yield of crops? What crops? Losses? How much hp added?

A 9610 with planetary final drives comes equipped with a bigger hyd system that will lift a 936D.

jd

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes a 9600 will lift the 936 but not great,once we installed agshields 36 foot cross augers they would not lift and had to install larger cylinders.The hp is adj 10/20/30 % dont recommend running at 30 unless ypu have a pyrometer we are running about 350-360 hp.Crops are spring wheat.peas and canola but really only need the extra power in the wheat especially when in tough conditions which is quite often here in Canada.Last 5 years have had some very good crops for this area 60 bu wheat is a lot more common now,peas and canola 50 is a really good crop.As for the losses,the beater kit really helps in not letting the grain up on the walkers which is where a deere will usually put it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No we did not compare machines before modifications.When we compared to the 9860 was in spring wheat that was yielding about 75 bu/ac moisture at 17% and lots of straw.I expect the bullet rotor and more hp have made quite a diff on the 9860.We have had the beater kits on for about 5 years and yes is will wear beater faster but beater wings are cheap,probably save more than that in grain.It talks of a slow down kit in the manual you just install it in reverse,another benefit if you never plug beater,we have never plugged a beater on either machine since we installed these kits.And Im sure you know how much fun a plugged beater can be.Web site for chip is www.bullydog.com When calling for a chip tell them what you have as the plugs for the newer common rail injection system is diff.Changed system on 9650.With these mods and a few others we have left 2388s way behind.What is our limiting factor now is our wide spread fine cut choppers,chopper light is first to come on if we dropped the straw I scared to think what would give up next

·
Registered
21 Posts
AS a mechanic i have installed a lot of these beater drive kits (backward to speed up beater) with removing filler plates and it definitly increases capacity

·
Registered
521 Posts
Evan,
This (the upgrade you mentioned) may be 'old news', but it is the first that I have ever heard of it. You mention that you guys run a couple of 9610s..that's good...I run the 9600. I suppose that the slow down kit would also work for the 9600, but I will ask ya' just the same..Will it work for a 9600, too? Do you happen to have a part number handy? I assume it is a JD part, as opposed to aftermarket, right? Also (and this is probably the most important question I have for you), did you run your "tests" against the 9860 BEFORE you did your modifications? I would like to know what the difference was before the mods so I could tell what kind of ground you gained. What crop was being harvested in these tests?

This kit is originally designed to slow the beater down. Which crops would require that? Again, I am probably showing my ignorance, but I'll bet that I'm not the only person wondering.

I am really anxious to know, as this sounds pretty cool. Are there ~any~ downsides? I think that 'things' would wear faster, as they are moving faster, but is there anything else? How long have you been running the modified slow-down kit? Also, if you would link me to the BullyDog site, I would appreciate it. Does the same PowerUp kit that fits the 9610 also fit the 9600, or are the connections different? The reason I ask is that I have a friend that has a 9610 with the kit. If the connections are the same, I might borrow it, and see how it feels!

Thanks in advance for the info. Again, this is the first time that I have heard of such a modification..I am interested in learning if it would benefit me. I cut winter wheat and milo with my 9600. I either run a 30' rigid platform, or a 853A Row Head. The milo looks as though it could really roll it out this year..Wow...the thought of actually harvesting TWO good crops in the SAME year...
{I feel faint}
Well.....er.....uh...that would be GREAT!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Would the limiting point of capacity not be how much material can go through the cylinder? We're in southern Sask and a 36 foot swath of canola is a lot of material. Or does that chip have a major change there.

What is the aproximate cost of the slow down kit?

Is there a change in fuel consumption once the chip is installed?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Quote:
With these mods and a few others we have left 2388s way behind.​

I am glad you mentioned that you had done "a few other mods", too. I was guessing that you had tweaked another thing or two on your machine(s). Would you mind telling what else you have done (or un-done) to increase the performance and/or capacity of your combine(s)? I would be greatful!

Also, judging from your thread replies, you are a big fan of the power chip. You're totally sold on one of these for a 9600-9610 (?), or is it a thing that you would not do, if you had it all to do over again? I run (Edge) Power "chips" on two of my p/ups, and really like them. I run an EGT on one of the p/ups, but not on the other. The p/up that does not have the EGT on it does not ever go higher than "Level 2" (of a (3) Level Chip). The p/up that has the EGT sometimes gets put into "Level 4" (of 4 levels (+100 hp)). One of them is adjustable from the cab ; the other requires one to get out, raise the hood, and readjust.
Just wondering where you would rate the Power Chips [pertaining to your-type combine] on the "must have" scale...((1) being "not needed at all"..........and (10) being "could not do without it") And finally, how much of an increase in EGT do you experience when the "chip" is on vs. off (or not installed) (how much of an EGT rise does it cause)? Is there a significant difference in EGT between power levels?

+1 for the help, Evan

·
Registered
321 Posts
The beater speed up/slow down kit is available thru deere as a whole goods kit, or at least it used to be

Kuchar sells the kit also or go to the deere parts website and look up the beater drive pulleys, buy the 2 for slow speed and the correct belt set and you have that taken care of.

For 4 yrs I have ran a Blixxton 2 power box and not only do I get more power, I get better fuel efficiency due to less lugging under load, the engine temp is same or better as no chip and this is at 10% which gives me ample power.

Tried the 30% one day for the sake of trying, and it provides too much fuel delivery and the turbo cant supply the extra air needed.

This is on a 95 model 9600

jd

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would agree totally with jd9600guru usually you need no more power than the 20% cant get the extra power to where you need it anyway,As for fuel it will be better on fuel untill you get it in some heavy going and start pulling it down a bit then it seems to use a little more especially on 30%.The egt usually not a problem does run up a little more but not bad post turbo the most I have seen is 950 and you are safe to 1050 post turbo and I have checked these with a temp gun.Turbo is working a little harder so take extra time and keep air cleaner cleaned out every couple days same as pickups get to much power then cant get enough air.Mods from 9610 to 9600 make sure you have 2 walker curtains in place and also the 5 curtains that hang off the beater grate, helps keep grain off walkers,also run at least 4 walker risers on each walker.Yes I do really like my power chips and for 500 bucks why not the 8.1 liter can easily handle it and deere knows it, they have 8.1 liters putting out 400 hp seen them for myself in waterloo.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Thanks for the info. Guru: When you talk about "engine temp", are you referring to water temp., or EGT? I do not have an EGT installed on my 9600 currently, so I do not know what is "standard".

Evan: So do you have an EGT, or are you pointing and shooting (with the thermometer)?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Always egt have found that if you hold temp gun on turbo it will read the same as pyrometer in cab,Engine temp will not change.Have bully dog pyro gauges nice to watch.

·
Registered
321 Posts
TxFarmer,

I dont have a pyro gauge in the cab I did like evan and used an infared heat gun to check temos under load with power box on and off. All was fine so I didnt mess with it.

Parts list for hi speed beater:

1 - H135850 pulley $265
1- H135849 pulley $190
1- AH163931 belt set $71

or

BH78623 whole goods kit $239

BUY THE KIT!!!!!!

jd

·
Registered
530 Posts
Last season I Did quite a few mods to my 00and50 walkers. The 9600 did superb with the beater speed up kit and I added another entire set of risers to the walkers. I think the old trick of putting the back axle in the bottom hole position is the best help in shoe loss.
My 50 is still not quite where I think it should be. It has tons of power so a chip is not necessary. I have a 936D for the 50 and the amount of crop here in California that this machine takes in is scary, the walkers are the weak link Ive found out. When I push it in heavy wheat the walkers start to slow down and eventually I hear the crop back up to the beater but never let it plug. This machine also has a sunnybrooke HI inertia solid cylinder, Sunny Hi inertia rear beater with speed up kit, Kuchar risers, Kuchar concave, Kuchar chaff breakers, and some other shoe mods I would rather keep quiet on. My 50 however has 4wd rear axle which limits the height of the back of the machine as compared to my 9600. There is four inches difference in the two, both at the bottom hole position, I see this as being a waste. This winter I will be modifying my axle on the 50 to get the shoe angle up a bit. I cant seem to get the walkers to get rid of the straw fast enought in the 50. Has this come up in your 9610s with drapers Evan? Im curious what your yields are like as well so I can compare the amount of crop your machines are eating.

·
Registered
321 Posts
You could easily make a pulley that drives the walker gearbox that is smaller and thus speed them up, however, I dont know how many walker rpm a 9xxx series rig can handle safely.

Interesting stuff, I hope this thread keeps on rollin'

jd

·
Registered
5 Posts
I must admit i'm still a little confused here. How is the capaicty incresed only by speeding up the beater? Is it just getting more of the straw onto the walkers and keeping it off the sieves or what.

What changes are made on the rest of the settings ie: cylinder speed and opening, fan speed. Or are they left the same?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Quote:Posted by saskfarmer on Today at 1:33pm
I must admit i'm still a little confused here. How is the capaicty incresed only by speeding up the beater? Is it just getting more of the straw onto the walkers and keeping it off the sieves or what.

What changes are made on the rest of the settings ie: cylinder speed and opening, fan speed. Or are they left the same?

My thoughts, almost to a "tee", SaskFarmer. I, too, would like to know by what means the capacity of the combine is increased. I have been going over it in my mind...I guess I am not thinking about it properly. Would the risers on the walkers be required at the same time as the kit? The money for all of these items (kit and risers) is not the issue, as it really does not add up to much. I just want to understand and reason the process before I simply go to JD and order this stuff 'because someone on the net told me to'. NO disrespect meant, as I hope you can tell I am really interested...just please explain further...

·
Registered
321 Posts
The beaters function is to move material off the back of the cylinder, deflecting grain down thru the beater grate and pushing the straw/stems/cobs onto the walkers.

By speeding it up, the beater in theory should be able to deflect more grain to the cleaning system and move material out of the threshing area more effictively, thus more capacity.

For everything but corn, I think it would work great, heck, it may be effective in corn also.

The walker risers are in place to give material a few extra seconds on the walkers to separate, which may be needed if more is coming into the combine.

I would also make sure both beater curtains and the beater grate curtain are in good shape also.

I see where he's coming from, I may try the beater speed up for beans this fall.

evan, do you run the grate in the raised or lowered position?

jd

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Our wheat yield will run 40-60 on most average years - on odd occasion it will run up to 75.We are always on the lookout for varietys that are short and good to straight cut,we have no use for straw.So straw hanging up on walkers has not happened to us yet.As for the combine settings go with the book for the most part other than cylinder speed we like it up 900-1000 as long as we are not cracking grain.The rear beater acts much like the cylinder the faster you run it the more inertia the more capacity.This idea is not new the 8820 titan II ran their beaters at 125% to keep grain off walkers.We run beater grate in top position tried in in lower hole but walker losses were really high.We crop a lot of field peas and vines can be very tough beans may be similar I dont know?I know we jam a lot of really tough vines thru and never plug beater .Im sure the sunnybrook parts are excellent but my dealer priced them at 3 times the stock parts as we just finished rebuilding both our machines totally.Wish I could have afforded them.Deere must also like them if you can custom order them in your new machine.Any other thoughts please let me know Evan

1 - 20 of 134 Posts