The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just graduated from a 6620 to a 9610. Why does this machine growl, slug feed so bad . Everything looks like it is coming into the header fine. It sounds bad and the rpms on the cylinder go up and down despite constant ground speed and header operaction. AND on another note, on the shaft where you hook up the header , there is a sprocket with 2 different sets of teeth. Which should I be on for soybeans? Maybe this isnt right. Just noticed it tonight.... I remember it being on the larger of the two on the 6620. Thanks to everyone helping so far !

·
Registered
42 Posts
How fast are you running your cylinder? and what are your concaves at? Try running it tight and fast and see if that helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had same problem with 9550. The feeder house clutch located at the upper right hand side of feeder house was worn out causing feeder house chain to slip thus bunching at cylinder. In the tech manual of a 9600 it refers to a washer to increase the spring rate on the clutch. I installed a new clutch & that washer & have had no more problems. Sorry I don't have the part # for that washer.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The feeder house drive chain (right side of the feeder house) is usually on the small drive sprocket when using a corn head (higher back shaft speed) and on the larger drive sprocket when using a platform head to cut grain because of the slower backshaft speed.

I would mark the sprocket and shaft in some way and then operate it to determine if the clutch is slipping. It should chatter, but could be worn so badly it will no longer make much noise.

We found a tailings auger/elevator drive clutch on our "new to us" 9500 that had a lot of wear so that the spring tension was too low. A spacer made from a piece of pipe and it's just fine now.

·
Registered
479 Posts
You will notice the cylinder a lot more than a 6620 as you dont have the engine noise.Run feeder house on the slow speed and run cylinder faster than the book tells you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Running concave on 14-20 and cylinder on 500 . Talked to tech this evening and he said my cylinder belt isnt tight enough. His suggestion was to slow cylinder all the way down and look at bottom sheave. It will have 1/4 in gap . I changed the chain this morning and it did help. I changed the slip clutches on the feeder house last week and put the washer in it. Hasnt slipped yet. Will check belt when it gets daylight. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
400 Posts
get a beater slow down kit, and instal it in reverse, thus making it a speed up kit. helps with slug feeding quite a bit

1 - 10 of 10 Posts