The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are lookin for a second combine to add to our farm and currently we run an 8010 and love it. And the other day the local jd dealer gave me a killer deal on a 9610 that is almost to good to turn down, but i have been lookin at 2188 and early 2388's because thats what have always run. I just wanna hear honest stories between the two. We grow mostly wheat, sunflowers, corn and just a few soybeans. Thanks

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
u can do more with a 2188 and have the rotor and a faammiliar system.. how much more are the 21.s and 23's ur seeing

also do u have any experience with walkers?

·
Registered
590 Posts
How cheap is it? Maybe I will come up and buy it out from under you. If it is 20-30,000 less than a comp houred (and repaired) 2188, what is the problem? Of course, if you have perfect conditions all the time, the rotary will kicks it butt day in and day out. you must not have any weeds or wet conditions. You are in the Dakotas somewhere?

·
Registered
660 Posts
We run a 9610, and I won't be the first to tell you it's not perfect (like any combine). We go through it every year and replace various worn down parts before harvest and have never had any major breakdowns. I haven't had much experience with the CIH combines, so I wouldn't know how they compare.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We just sold a 2388 with 5000 hours and no major problems. Bought a newer 2388 to replace that one, and looking to buy a 2nd one. IMO, JDs are good for nice long straw, and thats about it. I'd go with the Case as you are already familar with it.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
rotors are only good in the best conditions?? thats weird...weve had some really bad conditions in the past and still had a good sample...

·
Registered
156 Posts
I agree, only in best conditions? Never been around a IH before? I have cut wheat in weedy conditions, when you could not even see the wheat, just weeds and got mostly wheat in the bin. Better stick with your red ones schumacher.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Now that the mfgs. have figured out that it takes ponies and lots of them the rotors will blow the walkers away in all conds.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
k thanks for the posts. I do live in central north dakota. The 9610 i'm lookin at is a 98' model with 2100 seperator hours, duals, hopper extensions, greenstar ready and is in pretty good shape for $67,000 but i could get them down a little more, but i think i might stick with the red. And also is there much difference between the early 2388's and the 2188's ?

·
Registered
590 Posts
The experts can confirm, but the major difference is horsepower. At those numbers i would stick with red. Someone up there said it best, the key is horsepower, and the more the better.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
not really in 2003 they went to the afx rotor..which is a plus..and something you need to add on later when that time comes around.

im sure there are alot of lil things but to answer your question NO....

·
Registered
277 Posts
2188 260hp/ 1998-2005 2388-280/ 2006 2388-300 i believe, all 2388's had heavier final drives, and three speed rotor gear boxes. 03's were the year with probably the most changes, completely different air intake, bigger rotor drive pulley, AFX, alot of small stuff. Not sure which year the bigger universal display came out, i know the 03's had them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
"The 9600 and 9610's were possibly deere's biggest joke ever. The 9600/9610 capacity is that of a 1978 1480 IH. I've had new 9600s(demo) and old 1986 1680's in the same field. The old 1680s weren't much, but the 9600 was a total gag. "

Really? I am not a deere supporter in any way, do not have one in my yard. But the 9600/10 was probably deere's best combine to date when they came out. I ran on a custom crew for 3 years with 9600's, we never had any issues, and would keep up with anything else at the time...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Last fall I rented a 2188 to finish up the last 360 acres of wheat i had and when my neighbor was finished up with his he brought over his 9610 to give me a hand. We were side by side going down the Field but the 2188 saved loads more grain and IMO had a nicer cab. So this spring i bought a 2188

1 - 20 of 23 Posts