The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 9610 coming up on a sale nearby, and I'm considering buying it. Currently I'm running two 1660's but one has close to 7000 hours on it and i'd like to retire it. I've been pricing late 90's 2188 and 2388's and they seem to be very high priced on dealer lots. I think I will be able to buy this 9610 for around 60,000 and it's a very nice machine. I'd pay at least 75,000 for a comparable CIH machine. Any comments on the two machines?? And how they compare in a cost per hour. Our yields are normally 30 soybeans, 100 corn, and 40 wheat.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You won't have any problems with those kind of yields (it might be hard to keep it full in corn and beans). You will need to run better than 5.5-6mph in corn and 4.5 -5 mph in beans given your stated yields. I have noticed much better fuel economy with the Deere Conventionals than the CIH rotary especially in tough crop conditions. One thing to consider when changing brands is headers. Corn head can be adapted but I'm not sure about the platforms. You will have a lot more capacity than your 1660 because you will be buying a small class 6 machine and your 1660 are only sub 5 class. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i ran a 1998 9610 with a 36' macdon for a summer and cut about 10000 acers of wheat and malt barley averageing anyware from20 bu ac to 150 bu ac and about 15 pivots of corn, milo, beansand sun flowers. it had about 1500 sep hrs and 2000 eng hrs the only problem i had was the header drive clutch and varible speed belt slipping in corn with my 12 row head. we tryed adjusting deck plates speeding up and down the feeder house and ground speed. good luck they are a great all around machine.

·
Registered
778 Posts
With those yields a 9610 will work well for you. They are a proven machine and provide a good value, especially at that price. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a tech look over the machine before you buy it, just to be sure there's no major problems. Where are you from? Your yields sound very similar to here (southern Manitoba).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm in south central south dakota, yields here can be as high as 50 bpa beans and 150 corn and 60-80 wheat, but i was trying to be realistic. I didn't even go to the sale where the 9610's were as I had heard early on what they were going to bring. Thanks for the info and i'm still combine shopping!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Good luck with the shopping.

I ran 9610s and 1688s and have rebuild both. Both are good machines. I thought the 9610 lasted a little longer especially if you don't push a twelve row corn head. We did have 36' MacDons on the 9610 for wheat and soybeans.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts