The Combine Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
John deere 9650 cts with oil sludge. We sent a oil sample off and it came back high levels of fuel soot. There is no intake or exhaust restrictions. Cant seem to figure out the problem any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
crank case blow by? rings getting worn? Does it smoke black? Turbo getting worn, not enough boost, hole in intake system from turbo to intake manifold? Injectors getting worn out? Timing issue? Black smoke, soot is caused by an over fueling issue. To much fuel for the amount air in the combustion cylinder, causes black smoke out the exhaust. That or the rings are getting worn out you have excessive blow by putting combustion gasses into the crankcase. These are my guesses I would be thinking about when checking things over.

On the turbo. Remove the intake boot and feel for excessive play on the compressor wheel. Some play is normal. Can be hard to load a combine engine properly to check boost with a gauge at the manifold. Warm it up, put in high range and step on the brakes with everything turned on and engaged is the best way I know how to do it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yeah id be checking the blow by too. if it has any amount of hours on it probably compression test cylinder 5. The turbo sits right close to it and it will be the hottest running cylinder. Seen quite a few 10,50 series with trashed number 5 pistons from running hot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts