The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a way to remotely raise and lower the fountain auger in a JD 9650? We are trying to use an electric actuator to move the auger but having trouble getting the auger pins to line up with the teeth that turn auger. When the teeth and pins do not mesh it either bends parts if too much force is applied or auger doesn't turn causing belts to break due to packed grain in elevators.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,745 Posts
Why would you even want to do that? How many times do you want to go in and out of the shed?
I see never ending headaches. Remember grain could get caught in the hinge point and it will not close properly.

You could taper the auger pins and the drive hub to help it engage when it doesn't line up. But that won't last long before something breaks or wears out.

I would modify the top of the bubble auger shaft. Make a longer bracket and put a coil tension spring in there. Like a chaser bin auger. So if the drive pegs don't line up it will still close, and then it will engage as soon as you start the separator up.

Get your bubble auger balanced so it doesn't shake your design to bits.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We go in and out of the shed everyday during harvest. Unfortunately, our shed was built in the 80's and it's height was fine for that vintage of machinery. With the update to the 9650 combine the fountain auger is too tall for the ceiling height and must be in the "down" position to put the combine in the shed. We have thought of some type of spring assisted pins or auger but haven't attempted making that yet. The main problem appears to be that when the auger is down it can move around in the tube. If it is not aligned perfectly when attempting to place it in the upright position, one post attempts to go in front of a tooth and the other post attempts to go behind the opposite tooth and the auger becomes wedged. When this happens, the auger can not be raised completely unless you manually twist the auger slightly to a position where both posts fall between the sprocket teeth.

Our JD mechanic had a great idea - update to the new series combine so that you can fold auger and bin extensions down with the flip of a switch!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks JDSTSMAN. From the outside, that configuration looks similar to what we came up with on our own. We have the actuator and we have mounting brackets. I need to visit with LDM to see what they have done internally to line things up and if they might sell just those parts of the kit. The safety switch seems like a good idea also! Great help!

·
Registered
719 Posts
No problem. I found they are on Facebook and the phone number is the same as one I posted so I figured that's a good sign. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cutting a notch in the building is not an option, wrong roof pitch, insulated and finished ceiling. We did design and finish off a square cut out in the center of the building's ceiling so that we are able to climb into the engine compartment and grain tank. There is only about 6" of clearance between bin extension and ceiling in remainder of building. A rather tight fit. An addition to the existing building that would accommodate taller equipment or a new shed would also be a great solution. Just not in the budget right now

Depending on if you want to considerate it fortunate or unfortunate, all of our acres are located within a short drive of our building site. It's just our personal preference and works best for our operation to bring things home and put them away at the end of the day. Understandably, their are varying opinions and ways of doing things.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts