The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 9650 walker, and starting last fall in beans, it randomly dies, now it has only happened while cutting, it hasnt happened while being roaded between fields or back to the shed. To get it started, you have to go upstairs and prime it and it will start. Have not found any broken wires or leaky fuel lines anywhere. It happened 3 or 4 times this weekend in wheat. Has anybody ever experienced this before or heard of it happening?

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Once on a CIH 1660. Many years ago, but I think that it was a plugged vent line for the tank. I always heard that if you want to be a real prick to someone, put a ping pong ball in the fuel tank. Running under load it will eventually suck to the fuel line, kill engine, and then float back to the top.

·
Registered
23 Posts
our 9650 sts with a mechanical injector pump used to do this but it could be started back up again most times if you waited a little bit. My deere mechanic told me to remove the plunger from the injector pump. It is under the round cap with a wire going into it on the right hand side of the pump. no problems since.

·
Registered
332 Posts
We had that on our 9650 walker last fall, was a bit of chaff got in the fuel tank, took the fittings off underneath where the shut off valve was and blew it out properly and blew back into the tank and it smartened up, tried just blowing back in to the tank and it would help for awhile but in the end took that valve apart and thats where it was reall hanging up. The Deere dealer told us to drain the tank then flush it out a few times, but luckily we didnt have to.

·
Registered
109 Posts
There is a good chance the fuel screen inside the fuel tank has crap in it. Unscrew the valve out of the bottom of the tank, the screen comes with it. Best to have two people so one can hold finger over fuel tank while other person cleans the screen.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Once on a CIH 1660. Many years ago, but I think that it was a plugged vent line for the tank. I always heard that if you want to be a real prick to someone, put a ping pong ball in the fuel tank. Running under load it will eventually suck to the fuel line, kill engine, and then float back to the top.
I'm so going to buy some ping pong balls :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think you are on the right track with crap in the tank. Did it start up fine for the first time this year? I am thinking that it is suckin air. I don't think that model has an electric pump so with a bit of restriction in the tank it doesn't take much and it can suck air and not leak.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Yep... trash in the tank filter x5. The ping pong ball trick probably won't work with one of these because of the filter. 2nd guess is the electrical plugins under the air filter that get kicked around and loosened but if repriming it made it start, most likely the fuel filters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.