The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to get it ready for corn harvest and during wheat it was unloading really slow. well, we asumed that the vertical unloading auger was worn out and possibly the horz. one as well. we have it all apart and a new a&i vertical auger setting next to the old auger---there is less than a quarter of an inch difference in the flighting diameter. that tells me that its not worn a whole lot. the horizontal auger appears to be in good shape as well. currently i dont have a service manual for it but one is on the way. i looked in the 9610 manual to see what the tolerances for replacement on the augers is and i dont find it. they are the same size, so i would think they would have the same tolerances. the sprocket on the uloading system is the 17 tooth and form the jdparts website it appears its the higer rate sprocket. what could be the problem??? is this enough wear to cause problems??? the 9610 will unload lots faster.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The 17 tooth sprocket is for slower unloading and for rice machines only. You need the 19 tooth AH128075. Usually we go two vertical augers to every one horizontal when replacing.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dave, im pretty sure i made a mistake in my previous post, but ill check in the morning to make sure. im almost positive it has the 19 on it. i checked this earlier in the year. im wondering if the augers werent timed properly. i just checked the price of the oem extened wear auger vs the a&i one-----9??vs450 thats lots of dough difference! the a&i one has .25' thick flighting as well.

·
Registered
321 Posts
go to jd parts and check out the tooth counts on the sprockets and make sure you have all the right ones on your rig.

are there any holes in the charge housing?

make sure the vert and horiz are timed dead on when you put them back together also the 2 piece horiz. auger needs to be in time.

are the drive belts in good shape?

jd

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i suppose there's a inspection shield to check the timing on the horz. augers?? will double check all the above in the morning

·
Registered
321 Posts
yup use the rear inspection cover on the horiz tube.

you can check vert. timing thru the front one.

I believe your 10 series book should show a pic of how the 2 pc horiz auger should be aligned.

jd

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea i think its in there. theres an old thread in this section i found with lots of good info. on a differnt note---wasnt it an option to have on the go sieve and chaffer adjustment on the 50 series combines???

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
A half hour with a stick welder and a handful of hardfacing electrodes will make the cheap vertical just as good as the extended wear unit. Just do the outer 1/2 inch, that is where the flite is the thinnest and the wear the most.

·
Registered
566 Posts
that's what I was thinking. Ours is in the second hole down from the top from the factory. How much more grain does the 9650 hold over the 9610. that would be another reason it take quiet abit longer. Also couldn't you put a 21 or say a 23 sprocket on to get some more speed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
To answer an earlier question about the difference between the 9610 and 9650STS:

9610 - 240 bushel grain tank and 2.2 bushel/sec. unload rate (110 sec total)
9650STS - 250 bushel grain tank and 2.2 bushel/sec. unload rate (114 sec total)

That's not enough of a difference to be noticeable. Also, the Touchset remote shoe adjustment was made available to the 05' 60 series machines as an option (standard on 9860STS).

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
update: all was in time, 19 tooth sprocket, floor auger shields were in the highest postion, the flighting on the horiz. auger is worn pretty bad. wished i knew how tall/wide new was. im guessing that theres 3/4" gap between the auger tube and the auger itself. the sts has a maurer bin ext. on it. so its hard to really compare it to the 9610 which dont, in unloading rate, but what i do know for sure is, its very obvious theres a problem because the stream of grain comming from the 50 is lots smaller than what is comming from the 10. very obvious! im guessing its the horiz. augers. man its a bi#% putting the verticle auger/gearbox in and trying to get it timed and meshed up with the splines as well.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
To simplify alignment, I replace the vertical auger separate from the gearbox. I held up the auger and got it started in the top splines while my mechanic slid two flat bars in through the small holes in the rear of the vertical housing. These secured the auger in its proper position. Then I used the forklift to position the gearbox in the bottom of the auger and bin.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
we tried it that way and couldnt get the bevel gear set to line up into the auger so took it all back out and installed it as one unit all at once... pia!

·
Registered
530 Posts
I think its a 13 inch and its an odd ball bore size for STD flighting people but there are companies who make flighting for them, superedge flighting is worth the money, Ive been hardfacing these vertical ones for years and that works the best. I never run the covers on the bottom augers, infact none of my machines even have the covers inside the hopper, bolts are gone too, never had any issues plugging either. There are those who have done the larger sprocket thing, like 21 toothe or something, but I am a little leary of such a mod.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The vertical auger new spec is either 6mm (standard) or 6.6mm (heavy duty) and about 110mm height. The horizontal is 4.5mm and about 95mm height. Both replacement specs are from 1mm to a sharp edge. What was the number of teeth on the driven sprocket of the vertical auger gearcase?

·
Registered
321 Posts
davedan,

my a&i book calls it 12" flighting on the ah112435 inner and 11.750" on the ah143731 outer auger.

the vertical is 13" flighting.

just sharing what i see.....

jd

1 - 20 of 28 Posts