The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to me 9650 is losing wheat over the walkers. Running a 925 head in 75-80 bu spring wheat. I have a beautiful sample but unacceptable loss behind. No wheat over the sieves just the walkers. Running 980 cyl speed and can only go about 3 .2 without running over. My old 7720 could do better than this. Any advice is apprecialted.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Do you have the beater curtain installed? How about adding two extra risers to each walker? How much loss are you seeing? Make sure the concave is zero'ed and set set square on all for sides. I checked behind our 9650W w/ a 930 head tonight in 60 to 70 bu winter wheat and I am finding about 20 seeds per square foot. I am not sure if this is good or bad.

·
Registered
289 Posts
First lets look at the walkers. They need to have risers on, the more the better, at least 4 per walker. Look down the big hole behind the engine. While you're in there, is there a curtain behind the beater and a second curtain a little further back? You need two curtains. On your 7720 they were made of metal and stayed. On the 50s they are of light rubber and eventually tear and go out.
Next, is your beater grate in the upper position?
If this is all as it should be you can change settings and put more material down on the big shoe instead of the walkers. Close your concave to zero and check that it actually is on zero and about to hit the cylinder bars. If the concave is not square in the combine and zeroed everything else is wasted time and money. Are your concave and cylinder bars in good condition?
Last speed up your cylinder as fast as it will go, at least 1000rpm, if you can do this without cracking kernels.
After all, in tough conditions you will still see some walker loss. But when I ran the 50s I never allowed more than 3 kernels on an area the size of a hand.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts