The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We ran Deere round bar concaves last year and Loewen Wide Space concaves this year. The loss was less this year, but still have a lot of ground-up corn. The accererator has serrated bars with some wear. Maybe 360-400 rpm rotor speed.

Is there a way to reduce the kernal damage?

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Remove all the feed acclerator stips, you will have no problems and the kernel damage should be about zero, you will need to put that back in for wheat/soybeans though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have to switch between beans and corn on a daily basis. Not very many green stems...but some early in the year (central Iowa). What would you think about replacing half of the worn accelerator strips with smooth ones and leaving 1/2 the worn out serrated strips installed? Would that be aggressive enough for beans?

Or, maybe go with all new smooth strips? Would that feed green stem beans?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found on the Deere website where they have a Feed Accelerator Slow Speed Drive attachment. Basically a kit that takes the slow speed down from 440 to 320 RPM. The high speed setting goes from 800 to 790 RPM, so basically unchanged.

I think this might just work? It's recommended for edible beans, popcorn and food corn, but why not use it for less damage in feed corn? It costs about $1250, so I would like to get a second opinion.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:I found on the Deere website where they have a Feed Accelerator Slow Speed Drive attachment. Basically a kit that takes the slow speed down from 440 to 320 RPM. The high speed setting goes from 800 to 790 RPM, so basically unchanged.

I think this might just work? It's recommended for edible beans, popcorn and food corn, but why not use it for less damage in feed corn? It costs about $1250, so I would like to get a second opinion.

We run these in popcorn and they work very good for that application, but when you go to good field corn it causes back feeding in the feederhouse. We just switch back to the regular accelerator for field corn.

Which machine are you running and what do you have for settings? Are you getting any corn in the fan? I notice busted kernels on ours when the sieve is too tight allowing corn to get into the fan.

Chad

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
There are 2 main causes for grain damage on all combines, rotor/cylinder running too fast and one that many people forget about is too much free grain in the repeat elevator running thru the machine twice. Was your sample really clean? Most of the time opening the bottom sieve a fraction does little to the sample but really lessens the amount of free grain in returns elevator. Another issue that can cause grain damage is a combine running "empty" which can be a problem in light crops, but after reading your above post I don't think that was the problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We would be running about 4.5 mph with an 8 row head and 185 bu/acre. We have installed the kit from Clark to reduce the trash and it does a great job. Not much going in the machine but ears.

What head do you run? Are you pushing the machine harder?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think we were running much return. The machine has a monitor for return volume, but I'm not sure exactly how much volume correlates to the meter reading. The reading was never high.

The sample was never as clean as we would have liked, but not bad at all. We would be pretty happy if we could reduce the amount of cracked grain.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
thats one problem we had this fall, we were running a ton back through and it'd jam the tailing elevator. We just sped the rotor up and opened the concave and it helped but we couldnt get it over 5mph before it'd try plugging up. Wasn't grinding any, but it wasn't going through properly.

Never did get a solution figured out yet, s'pose we'll have to play with it next year.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 9750 and I run my rotor at 280 - 300. If I have a problem knocking the kernels off, I tighten up the concave. I use round bar concaves. I usually can get a great sample with running very little return.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts