The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After owning two jd cts's with poor canola performance i was hoping that trading one on the 9650sts i was going to gain 20 percent, maybe 5 is being generous. Is there anything that ican do other than a power chip to increase the capacilty. The 9650 gave me a generous jump in cereals over the cts but that was not what i was looking for, i already had two good cereal combines

·
Registered
31 Posts
Saskfarmboy... What do you feel is keeping the 9650 from more productivity?

Horsepower?...... Separation?... Shoe loss?.... Feeding?.... Decent sample?

If HP... how many hours?... could be injectors for example... a power box should improve your HP... but I wouldn't add 30%..... perhaps 15-20% as exhaust gas temps can be hard on engine life.

Separation.... Do you have cover plates on the 5th and 6th rows? This is where the return feeds back to the "tine separator".
In canola you can open the concave clearance to 50% of max if the crop is dry. If the crop has green straw add a couple filler strips to 1 and 2 ... this will let you open the concave clearance.
I am sure you had the rotor on slow speed... and increase it to 500 when the crop is tough... down to 250 when the crop is extremely dry.

Feeding.... if the accelerator belt is slipping or plugging, a heavy duty drive kit... 2 shieves and a belt.... is available. I would recommend this update for all STS's picking up heavy windrows.

Shoe loss.... I find the op manual too low for fan speed settings...esp. if the crop is dry and chaffy. Also, by opening the concave and reducing the rotor speed the shoe load can be lessened.
We replace our precleaner with an adjustable precleaner and have never had it wide open in our crops. In fact for canola, flax and canary seed we run it only 2 turns open ... and our productivity, sample cleanliness and shoe loss are greatly improved. The return volumes also decreased significantly... if the monitor reading is accurate!
BTW... in wheat it eliminated most of the unthrashed heads and whitecaps at about 1/2 open.

Happy harvesting.... Bill

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Hey Bill,
where did u get an adjustable precleaner?Can u adjust from the cab?How much is that precleaner?

·
Registered
31 Posts
JayDee.... the precleaner is a product enhancement part..... AH201930 ..I think...

Cost at Nelsons is listed at $1242.00.

Not adjustable in cab..... they have a separate handle with brackets to attach to the combine.

Need to lift chopper to adjust... not difficult.

I use 2 turns open for very small grains... 4 1/2 turns in wheat.... 6 turns in barley.

I put one in our 9870 for canola and flax... monitor calibrated to 1... no bars on separator or shoe icons.

Your farm and conditions may be different...... Bill

·
Registered
378 Posts
Saskfarmboy--the 9650 sts should give you at least 30% more capacity. The CTS was a good cereal combine, but not great in canola. I am from N. central Alberta--conditions will be somewhat different. Bduke is right--an adjustable precleaner made a lot of difference in all crops--less returns and less shoe loss. Shoe loss was almost always our limiting factor. Bduke is right about settings also. For canola the fan should be about 900 rpm and open the chaffer a bit more. Horsepower should not be the limiting factor in canola, unless it is tough.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Bduke, that heavy duty drive for the feed accelerator you are talking about, is it the triple v pulleys and belt?

·
Registered
31 Posts
JDSTSman.... No , the update we did was a double V belt and larger pulleys.

In fact the triple V is only on 9870's from serial # 730101 and up.... serial #'s prior have the same pulleys and belt as we had updated.

Our 9870 has the triple V, and these parts may fit older models? .... I don't know.

Cheers.... Bill

·
Registered
718 Posts
I was told that the triple v set up will NOT fit other models. But i haven't checked this myself. Did you notice much of a difference with the bigger pulleys?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes.......... never plugged nor burned a belt after the change up. I think we ran 4 years on the belt, which surprised me........ Bill

1 - 10 of 10 Posts