The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. This is my first post on this site. I am a custom harvester from Wisconsin and I have only had walker machines in the past.

There aren't many STS machines around here yet, but I am currently looking at a 2003 9650STS from a farmer and was wondering what to look for as wear points and problem areas. This machine has about 1500 separator hours on it. Is there any major work that is done around this many hours? How long does the rotor components typically last? How can you tell if the threshing elements and concave is still in good condition? Is there any advantages from a late model 50 series to an early model? What else should I look at?

I appreciate any responses!!

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
check vertical unloading auger flighting-shoe augers bearings-gears shaft and keys-----feeder house conveyor chain links are bad for cracking links on center strand and to the inside ---chains have been updated------chaffer and sieve are bad for breaking and siezing up--chaffer drive shaft bearings should be replace with those hours as if they fail they damage your chaffer and seive frames-----can be checked by removing belt tension and rocking back and forth and listening for bearing noise-----check for chopper vibration at high speed as it $1000 plus to replace hammers----discharge beater wings will probly be broken and grate is often bent----check back end of shaker pan for cracks-as for rotor there is a wear guage you can get from parts that is easy and quick to use on rotor or concaves--a late model definitely has a lot of improvments as a lot of wear points were hardened or hardsurfaced also these combine could be orderd with a custom cutters package which has high wear rotor elements 1/4 inch thick unloading auger flighting (cross and vertical augers)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Be sure to crawl up into the back and look through the beater wings. The discharge beater housing likes to break on the 50 series. Look along the bottom of the housing, just in front of the grate.

·
Registered
289 Posts
It depends a lot what kind of crop it has been in and how good the owner was with grease and other maintenance. At 1500 sep. hours one could easily spend $20,000 to get everything in shape again.
The STS is generally considerably more expensive to keep up than a walker machine.
For details send a PM.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses guys. I ended up buying the machine yesterday. Not much for cracks or welds on it. Looks like the machine was well kept. A couple of things will need attention, but nothing major that I could see.

Thanks Again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts