The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Smoke started coming out of back of rotor today. Found the rotor was rubbing on the back tin in 2 places,on the top and left hand side.It got hot enough that some chaff started to smolder.
Any body have any ideas what the problem might be.? Front bearing or maybe gear box??
:sFun_explosive:
Glen

·
Registered
228 Posts
Bearings. If the lock collars won't tighten properly before you tighten the set screws the bearing can slip on the shaft. Kind of surprised the rotor is sliding up and not down with gravity.

John

·
Registered
772 Posts
Smoke started coming out of back of rotor today. Found the rotor was rubbing on the back tin in 2 places,on the top and left hand side.It got hot enough that some chaff started to smolder.
Any body have any ideas what the problem might be.? Front bearing or maybe gear box??

Glen
Have you checked the gearbox oil? Mine started making a rumbling noise and when we stopped the area around the gearbox and rotor was smoking. Checked gearbox oil level and none there. When we pulled the gearbox found it was r**ted. The front seal was destroyed and all the oil went out with the chaff. You cant see it happening as the oil just gradually disappears with the chaff and straw out the back. A piece of fence wire had come in and wound around the spline at the rear of the rotor and chopped out the gearbox seal. The joys of leased farms

·
Registered
265 Posts
When you spin it backwards do you hear any grinding? I have pulled ten rotors out to remove wrapped up wire behind the rotor. The most I pulled out was 40’ and the least 6’. The John Deere rotor is the fastest wire winder I’ve seen.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found the problem with the rotor. Last fall we were Combining oats that an early snow had knocked them down. The straw was a little green yet and a little muddy out. The straw and with dirt wrapped around the front bearing of the rotor and pushed it back. The mechanic said he has never seen anything like this before and he had to use a chisel to get the material out. New bearing and the shield around the bearing were replaced and we’re good to go . A much cheaper fix than what John Deere had originally quoted around $27 ,000 to rectify what they thought was the problem .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts