The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. With our corn harvest approaching in less than a month, i just wanted to ask what i might do to improve my combines operation in corn. I think i read somewhere that we could run without the paddles on the feed accelerator to reduce cracking of kernals and shattering of the cob. We seem to get lots of cracked kernals and small cob pieces in the sample. Tried every setting and trick i know of and cant seem to stop this. What would you all reccomend to correct this problem. Thanks. Will

9660 STS, 893 with calmer updates, round bar concaves, spacers installed on grates, 17% to 24% mc at harvest, 150 to 250 BPA range.

·
Registered
486 Posts
17-24% moisture and youre still cracking it?

you got you roundbar concaves...

i dont mean to be rude, but are you sure you got your feed acellerator on slow? And do you have your feederhouse chain in the "up" position?

Rotor RPM should be between 350-400 rpm

Your concaves should be a bit more than halfway open.

On a scale from 1 - 21 your chaffer should be somewhere in region of 14-18 and your sieve as open as you possibly can get it. 12-14!

fan at full tilt!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. Acellerator and chain on slow, chain up, have tried every rotor speed, concaves every wich way but other than leaving them on the shop floor, chaffer and sieve in every imaginable position.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Another dumb question:

HAve you checked that the concaves actually open? and its not just the number on your cornerpost that change?

I have had that happen before but even I find that being unlikely.

How many rows are you picking?

If you close the deckplates on the header and take in a bit more stalk/leaf/material does that help? The idea being to cushion it a bit as it goes through your feed accellerator.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the concaves are zeroed, leveled and operating correctly. As far as the trash intake, we have been running a standard 893 with knife rolls and hyd deck plates. Takes in alot of trash, so we updated to the calmer trash reduction for this harvest. Have not run it yet but hopefully it will help. Usually our speed varies from 4.5 to 6.5 mph

1 - 5 of 5 Posts