The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a little bit touchy to get set perfect but when you do they will eat a lot of crop. nice machines to operate. you will enjoy them.

·
Registered
854 Posts
but you never said what you are used to driving???? Thus i cannot comment until i know what you are used to operating.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm going on a harvest trip to Australia. my employer runs 3 John Deere 9660STS combines.

I have never driven a 9660. What do you guys think of these type of combines ?

cheers,

Roel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
@ Dragoguy ; thanks for the comment !

@ jdgreen ; actually I don't have too much experience with combines. I ran a TC56 for a while.

I just wanted to know if it's a good machine on all aspects like performance , driver comfort , reliability...because I will be making quite a few hours for 2 months + in that cab. ;-)

cheers,

Roel.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Take ear plugs or a good set of ear buds and MP3 player so you don't have to listen to all the noise especially when the unloader is running.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
for australian conditions they are the best suited combine money can buy. where abouts is your employer located? send me a pm if you want.

·
Registered
8 Posts
are they really that noisy in the cab ?

Bundybear , you got mail.

thanks for the replies guys !

Roel.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Sorry bundybear, but I have run 6600's all the way to 9770STS and just about every model in between. That's my opinion from my experience having driven them. That's my opinion having also driven Case-IH, Massey, Gleaner, New Holland machines to compare to. With experience one tends to develop an opinion over time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Redhat is right, we used to run a 9600 and 9660 STS and the old 9600 was not as loud in the cab at any time. ( More reliable too) Now our 8120 is the quietest.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
sorry redhat but i've run deeres since the mid 90's putting 2000 hours a year on them sometimes and have never had to wear earmuffs. and before you respond saying i haven't run a ih, i have and for the last two years cut a swag with my friend who has a 2388 and and a 7088. he has run my 96 and never mentioned the cab being noisy. and being red thru and thru he would find anything to niggle me over!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
our 9660 is a whole lot quieter than any 2588 ive ever ran and no louder than the neighbors new 8010, except for the unloading auger.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
and the other thing redhat.... this poor kid is flying halfway around the world to do a job he hasn't done before (ie run a combine) and your telling him he is going to go deaf everytime he unloads.

i'd tell you to grow up but if you've run a 6600 it might be too late for that.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Could it be because its is always broke down and at the shop? That would make it very quiet.

You said it, not me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Your right our 8120 does spend more time in the shop then our STS used to.......
Since it can harvest 50% more per hour, it's done almost a week sooner.
We loved our STS's for the most part until we traded for our first 8010 and found out what we were missing.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I'd tell him to retire. J.K. you wanna talk about loud and annoying how bout that d**n beeper when you come to the end and raise the header on them 2388's that's annoying. The unloader is alittle bit loud but thats a good thing to hear in my opinion, cause u must have bushels out there if ya hear it often.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Seriously, you die hard green guys are diluted. My 9750 unloader is loud and I believe it to be the very same on a 60 series. I guess the cab on the machine is quiet compared to a 6600 with the engine next to the cab.

·
Registered
8 Posts
okay guys , thanks for all your reactions. I kinda get the picture of a 9660. Comfy cab , fun to operate and maybe a bit of noise when unloading.

by the way, Is there a cigarette lighter where I can plugg my FM transmitter in ? where is it located ?

I'll bring some pictures back for all of you.

cheers !!

Roel.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts