The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin runs two sts deere machines, a 9660 and a 9670. He is very loyal to green machinery. His only real complaint with the 9660 is rotor loss in corn. I'm sure it is worse in some fields or varieties, but he says that he would like to be able to reduce the amount of rotor loss he gets. I'm pretty sure that the rotor is set up the way it would be from the factory, and he is running round bar concaves. In this area the corn may run any where from 150 bpa to 200 or better. The 9670 has yet to be run in corn as it is new this year. Any suggestions would be welcome, as I am more used to axial flow machines.

·
Registered
961 Posts
got to be something with the settings. we run anywhere from 5 to 6.5 mph in 200 bushel corn. usually as tight and fast as you can run the thing without damaging crop is the way to get the most capacity. the little book they give you is a start but dont be afraid to go above or below their recommended settings.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Is he running on slopes? These machines are particularly bad at handling any type of slope and will overload the tailings if you're running at good capacity. Then the tailings gets dumped into the rotor and shows up as rotor loss or gets ground into powder. Make sure there is as little MOG (little to no stalk and husk) going into machine also. With an 8 row there should be enough combine there until you get into some very high yields. With a 12 row, it is fairly easy to find the capacity limit of the machine in good corn if you have enough power.

·
Registered
486 Posts
At what moisture level are you harvesting the corn?

Try the following tips if the moisture content is below 15%

If he is using the factory settings the rotor RPM is to low.

Tell him to add 50 rpm to the standard setting, and it should fix the problem.

If that still doesnt work, he can leave the forward and middle concaves in and change the back one to a large or small wire concave and that should almost certainly fix the problem. Keep the rpm up though. If it starts cracking the grain, compensate by opening the concaves instead, 2 points at the time until its acceptable.

Its important to keep the bottom sieve as open as possible, because repeated grain can also cause rotorloss in corn.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Grain moves to the down hill side of the cleaning shoe when harvesting on slopes.

Order and install BH84342. The bundle includes three partitions (H204659) that are taller and longer than the H159741 chaffer divider extensions. The bundle also includes two auger bed deflectors (H208685 and H209759) and two partitions for the grain return pan (H206176). Instructions H210289 are included.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts