The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The J.D dealership that I work at has a 9660 WTS coming in next week, as soon as it arrives it will have to have a PDI done on it so it will be ready for our combine clinic and then it will be off to it's new home. The sale depart. had a good year in combine sales they sold 28 new combines, 23 9760 STS's and 4 9660 STS's and 1 9660 WTS so it has been a busy time getting these unit ready to roll. We have about 8 left yo do so the end is in sight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: 9660 WTS

The WTS finally showed up at the dealership and the PDI is just about finished. I haven't had a chance to take any pictures yet. I took some from the new sales broacher that we just got for now. hope they turn out enjoy!!

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts

Hi Alex,i really do enjoy your forum site,because everyone is friendly and there are a lot of guys with a lot of knowledge,si i decided to become a posting member.The 9660 WTS is built in the John Deere Plant in my hometown Zweibrücken/Germany where the CTS combine is still produced,and all the Walker and CTS combines are available with a factory installed 15% hillside levelling system ,as far as i know it is the first JD Combine from Germany sold in the US,i am curious to see if it will satisfy the needs of the American farmers and custom harvesters,because here in Europe we have other harvesting conditions and the combines are not used as many hours in a year as they are used on big North-American Farms or custom cutters.The unload-rate of the 9660 is only about 2.2bu/sec,wich is the first disadvantage compared to the STS combines,but the total cleaning area is bigger(7719 sq.inches) because of its wider body.I know some guys working at the JD-plant,and one of them told me,that Deere will release 2007 new walker combines with 3 cylinder(or drums)-threshing system like the CX walker combines from New Holland have.We wiil see...

·
Registered
53 Posts

Quote:as far as i know it is the first JD Combine from Germany sold in the US,i am curious to see if it will satisfy the needs of the American farmers and custom harvesters

For a period of time we had the 4425 come over, followed by the updated 4435. These machines took the places of the US built 4420, pretty small machines that were in a large decline in sales, but still had enough that Deere felt they still needed a spot in the lineup for this size. All in all, these machines have NOT had a good reputation, part of it from the machine, part from poor support. They were essentially the first complete metric machines that the US had seen, that got guys cussing from the start. Electronics were also of a German design and component use, which mechanics were not adequately trained on due to the low numbers sold. Parts support was, shall we say, a bit lacking. Add in a machine that wasn't designed for the conditions seen here in the US, causing it to maybe be a bit more unreliable, as well as having an overall "European" feel to it, its not considered one of the finer machines to grace American farms.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts

Yes you are absolutely right,cropcutter,i forgot the 4425,thought they sold it only in south america.But i think it will be good for the german John Deere harvester works to get the feedback from some Northamerican farmers and custom cutters to develop new combines with a better reliability and more capacity...
They need a new and wider body or frame with a larger cleaning area and with their dynaflo cleaning system and larger clean grain elevators and thats it,they would have the best combíne in the world...

·
Registered
590 Posts

The difference is pretty obvious, at least to me, when I see a European designed DE combine and an USA designed DE combine, no matter where it is built. The "new" 9660 WTS appears to me to just be an updated 9600 (basic design except for the beater thingee on the walkers). When I checked the threshing and cleaning specs, they are identical to the 9600-10-50, and looking at the pictures it certainly appears to be "our" machine, just being built, now in Europe. It has our cab.

I don't want to make assumptions, but the 9660i is our machine. Turnabout, the European 9880STS is our 9860, built in Moline and shipped to Europe. This is not an us vs them thing, just globalization.

It is interesting to go on Deere's website and check the products for the other continents. UK's site is best for me because I can read English. It is obvious the US combines for sale in Europe and the Europe combines we never see here. The 4425 and 4435 did not work for us, and I agree it was Deere's attempt to serve that market.

If I wanted a walker combine today, I would not be afraid of the European built 9560i or 9660i, not saying anyone is. Today, and for the long foreseeable future, our farming operation will be a walker operation, the 9410 will have to last us for 20 years, and it probably will with regular maintenance. Our farm size cannot afford a new machine, and one is not built anymore for our size (1,500 crop acres). Unless economics change or wheat goes to $6/bu and cows will fly.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts

28 new combines, 23 9760 STS's and 4 9660 STS's

Glad to see there selling the rotors combines like crazy

I wonder what percentage is rotor now days compared to walker?

do have one local guy who traded for a deere rotor and he's very happy with it and wouldn't go back...

also to the last guy

i doubt you will see 6 dollar wheat

unfortuantly i think its going to fall about as fast as a cow that jumps off a cliff thinking he can fly lol

·
Registered
135 Posts

Stubblejumper where are you at.

I can't believe you guys didn't sell any 9860's, here in Southern Manitoba, almost all the new combines are class 8 with a few class 7's and it's seldom that you see a class 6 rotor sold around here.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts

Hey jus,where do you live in southern Manitoba?I am from Germany and last summer i have done a practical training on a grain farm near emerson and i liked it very much there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

The dealership I work at is in Alberta. We have had another good year for combine sales again. We have 29 new combines to get ready this year again an in this bunch there is 2 WTS's coming. So far we have got 2 in and not sure when the rest will start to trickle in.So it will be another busy summer.

·
Registered
289 Posts

Jaydee,

what other combines does JD make there in Zweibrücken?

I know they are making the silage choppers there, too.

·
Registered
330 Posts

Quote:Jaydee,

what other combines does JD make there in Zweibrücken?

I know they are making the silage choppers there, too.

Combines: CTS and WTS

Forage Harvesters: 7000 series

+ telescopic handlers

That's all I know - possibly more..

- Peter

·
Registered
330 Posts

Can someone here tell me which direction the "tine-cylinder" rotates?

Does it lift the crop mat over the cylinder or press it down towards the walkers, slowing the crop down as well?

Any information on this is much appreciated!

- Peter

·
Registered
530 Posts

I cant see the benefit of having the cylinder over the walkers, I had to remove the curtains from our 00s and 50walker because they were seperating too well and putting excess material back to the screens, excess meaning crumbled straw. I guess in high moisture climates, oregan, washington, dakotas etc it would make since. In our area growers are not happy with rotor machines mainly because straw is worth $2 a bale or 40-50$ a ton, and they want as much straw intact as possible. Gained a few really good customers because of this new market for straw.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Can the new 9660 WTS be used to harvest corn or does the new beater set up restrict it to small grains. It looks like a nice combine.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Quote:i doubt its for small grains only.

I have a copy of the brochure it it only features it as a wheat machine. No mention of corn heads or other crop harvesting beyond small grains. That is why I wondered if it had been changed to a small grain only like the CTS.

The Deere website also only mentions small grain:

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/FR/series/combine_wts.html

Press Release July 2005:
http://www.deere.com/en_US/ag/feature/2005/wts_9660_combine_article_jul05.html

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts

The local contractor i work for runs a 9680 WTS hillmaster in corn without any problems like many other farmers and contractors here in europe do with their WTS combines-the same with CTS combines.I hope to get some pics in the fall when harvesting corn.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Our contractor uses a 9640 WTS Combine to harvest small grains and corn. It has a folding 6 row corn head.

Pic was taken fall 2005 in germany.

The JD combine lineup in europe is a bit diffferent to the US. Most models we have are walker maschines + one CTS and one STS Model at the top of the line:

http://www.deere.com/en_GB/agricultural_equipment/combines/index.html

The two smallest walker machines (1450 + 1550) availiable are built in brasil.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts