The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We run a 06 9660STS in Lancaster Pa. We windrow all of our straw for small grains. The only problem after we bale there is a path of chaff left where the windrow was. When we go to plant late beans after we have problems planting where the windrow was. Most of our neighbors run CaseIh machines and can spread the chaff and still windrow the straw. I've been looking into mounting some kind of spreader on the back and still windrow the straw. I've never seen it done but I'm sure someone has. Does anyone know of any custom spreaders that have been made or aftermarket companies that have built them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Other then hiring your neighbors to harvest your small grain i know of no fix for spreading chaff while windrowing straw for a STS.

·
Registered
322 Posts
There was a thing posted on here used in canada that caught the chaff and put it onto the windrow so you baled it all. Kinda neat idea, I hate having the chaff falling under the windrow. I can't find the link right now though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a JD 9560sts that we put a Chaff spreader on to solve the same problem.
We made our own spreader with double 18" discs, because you can only buy double 24" and there is not enough room to put those in. The other challange was making a hood inside the shoe to direct the air and chaff down on to the spreader. We have had it 2 years now and we are still fine tuning it.
We use it in all crops.
The other big advantage this spreader has, it helps with setting the combine because you can tell if your loss is from the shoe or from the rotor.

thanks peter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts