The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to the site and also to a rotor. I engage the separator with the engine idle. Every time it is engaged the engine lugs sometimes to the point that I wonder if it is going to shut down. I replaced the fuel filters so I know its not that. The only other guess I have is that dust is settling in the feed accelerator and beater and then weighing it down for start up. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
778 Posts
If your rotor is set set to max speed last time you shut it down, and chopper is on high speed, and you engage header switch before the separator, then the engine will lug down very hard. As long as it comes back without stumbling or bucking then don't worry about it. A power chip will make it pull down slightly less and reach full throttle sooner. The only thing that extra dust in the accelerator will do is cause an annoying vibration at full throttle.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
That sounds fairly normal to me. I have the same combine, idle is 1200 and engaging the seperator will bring it down to around 800. I have never thought it was going to stall though..

·
Registered
289 Posts
Above the right rear tire there should be a glass that has fuel in it if that's black you should prolly clean that, we had similar problems, but it was where when where unloading on the go an what not. This may or may not help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always engage the separator first but I am running the rotor close to max and the chopper at high speed. I did clean out the fuel sedament bowl which was really bad.
Sometimes as soon as I engage the separator, I hear a single knock. It sounds like metal on metal. I think its coming from the rotor pully but because it is not constant, its hard to tell. Sometimes it is louder than others. Has anyone heard this before? Thanks for the feed back.

·
Registered
60 Posts
How is your power when running in crop, does it blow any smoke. On the early 50 series in the fuel tank pickup there is a screen that blocks and fills with crap over time. If this gets to restricted it can cause power problems etc and cause fuel restriction. You will see power issues though and no lugging ability

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i am cutting with a 30 ft head. because i have the 9L engine i feel like i should not be able to run fast enough to make my engine light come on. i am running an average of 4.5 mph but it is thick straw. what is the best way to check that filter without draining the fuel?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts