The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a new-to-me '07 9660sts. Remembered hearing of problems with moisture sensors. My '00 9650sts had the meter on the elevator, with a lid I could remove and wipe off the inside plates. Never had a minute's worth of problems with it. Don't know what needs to be done on this one in the way of maintenance, etc. No info on it in op manual. How does it come out and/or apart? How often does it need to be looked at? Thanx for all replies.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Threes was an update for the plunger & something else also. I've almost given up on mine bloody moisture meter spends more time broken down then working! Cheaper to buy a good handheld one & get the chaser bin driver to keep an eye on things.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Same here. Mechanics tinkered with mine forever and then suggested that the PC board was shot. The price of a new one isn't worth it for something I personally see as a nice-to-have. Very nice when it works, but not worth the cost to fix. I just use my handheld every now and then.
A bit more with wheat, but in my case, when a couple of corn samples test dry enough, then the whole field is good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Those things have to be the biggest piece of junk ever built. Boards and relays go bad, the actuator motors burn out, there is always something. Unfortunately if you are using a Deere yield monitor the moisture meter has to work. It will throw a code when it doesn't work.
The whole thing is bolted to a bracket in the grain tank. There is a cover you take off one end to get the actuator out and get to the circuit board. They are simple enough to take apart, but they can be a pain to diagnose.
It was such a great design that for the S series combines, they went to an Ag Leader moisture sensor and put it back on the clean grain elevator.
Good luck

·
Registered
364 Posts
No **** there easy to fix but they want to charge you $2-3 grand for a circuit board!:rolleyes: Its cheaper to buy a whole new one & have spares on hand for the next time it crocks it. If you were guaranteed some reliability maybe it would be ok to fix but mine hardly worked from new. Who's saying the next one will last 5 minutes longer!:)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for replies. Farmerjones (or whomever!), what needs to be cleaned in there, and with what? How often?

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,887 Posts
They don't really need cleaning. With the updated plunger they self clean. It's really only green material, weeds, juicy thistles etc that might smear the sensor pads, even then rarely. A blow out once a week will be sufficient to loosen any build up of dust around the actuator. Just blow up the bottom of the two black chutes.

Turn your samples per minute down to the slowest cycle and the motor will last longer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Put new moisture tester in 9660sts and need to activate harvest monitor. Harvest monitor does not pull up on “brown box”, so I need to activate it. Any help is appreciated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts