The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem with ears being thrown back out of the header. Over the winter, we decided to replace the deck plates and while we were at replaced the rubber paddles on the middle of the auger. Now we've taken off two paddles on each side, so now there is only the middle two. We've turned the remaining two around backwards so that they're bent back. Thinking of taking a knife and cutting half of them off. Would a corn saver work well enough? The problem is that in really good corn, I can't always tell where they're coming from. In the beginning, it looked like they were coming from in front of the feeder.

I appreciate any help.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Had the same problem with tossing ears out the front of the feeder house, my head also had a wedge kit which made problem worse. Tried rubber paddles on and off and made no difference. Then i put on a corn saver still thru ears out the front. Finally solved the problem by putting on a hydralic orbit motor on the auger then i could slow the auger down without slowing down the rest of the cornhead. I tied it into the reel drive, works like a charm. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Take off all of the rubber paddles and put on an ear saver. Run the feeder house speed so the stalks are pulled straight down.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i agree, throw away the paddles, it'll also quit haystacking in real dry cond. we removed the auger sprocket and installed a larger sprocket and put the drive sprocket and clutch on the backshaft. had to cut out the back tin and make a sheild, but sure is nicer than having it underneath.

·
Registered
44 Posts
a wedge kit will make it pick up down corn a lot better. but the space between the auger and the feeder chain gets longer so it tends to boil more. another bad thing is it picks up rocks more. well worth it if you got a field of down corn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts