The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The chain skips a link off in the middle relative to the outside links. What causes this? Is the chain wore out? It is adjusted according to the book with the chain touching the skid half way across the door with the drum in the down position. The sprockets did not look bad but did not measure them.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Your first chain should last close to 1,000 hrs. So that means you
need to check things out. What year is your machine? The 2009's
and later have the 4x4 feeder with the spring loaded chain.

Mine's an 2006, sprockets are acceptable and timed. I'm sure no one ever has uneven crop feeding:eek:. No other combine I've ever owned has done this with a feeder chain. Like I said I run it tighter now than spec and it has helped some.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I know this doesn't help you, but just know that then newer designed 4x4 feeder house with the spring tensioner, redesigned pivoting drum and cast-slate chain has ended all of these problems 99% of the time. I'm guess that, for whatever reason, your chain wear is causing most of your headache
I disagree. I see skipped chains as often on 4x4 feeder machines as any other Deere. Worn chain is often the cause, with the center chain being the issue with the higher wear rate. I've often wondered why Deere wouldn't build the center chain stronger to equalize the wear rate with the outers but I'm sure they don't mind selling chains for $2k a piece.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.