The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Hey I just changed my fuel filters on my 9670 and can't seem to get it to fire up. There seems to be no fuel getting to the filters even with the key on.could it be the fuel pump even though it run just before I shut it down to change the filters. That seems odd to me. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
257 Posts
Double check the o ring on the plastic canister filter. I have had it com out of the groove and not seal properly. It sucked air and wouldn’t prime. Ever since then I have put grease on the o ring and packing of the fuel filters.
Did you clean the lower sediment bowl at the same time? Fuel is turned on, correct? I’ve done that before too. Happens when you have serviced over 400 combines.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Another suspect is the filter in the bottom of the tank... check for good flow with the line off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys. Ya I have good flow at the bottom. I also pressurized the tank with air and got fuel up to the first filter where the pump is but it won't go any farther. Maybe because of the pump. But the pump won't run so my dealer said it must be the pump. So I bot a 1350 dollar pump and still the pump won't run this the combine won't start. So frustrating.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The electric driven pump on the fuel filter was replaced? The fuel supply pump (commonly referred to as a lift pump) is turned on for two minutes with the key in the "run" position. This is used to prime the fuel system with fuel and remove air bubble from the system. If you turn the key on and make your way to the engine compartment in under two minutes, the pump should make an audible humming sound. If the pump is not making any noise in that two minute time frame, the pump is not receiving power or the ground is not connected properly. If the pump is engaging and the engine will not start, it is likely there is air in the system. This air could be trapped from the filter replacement or ingested from a leak in the suction lines. If the engine started just fine before replacing the filters, there is likely air in the system. Any time the fuel system is opened, it is recommended to cycle the key 2-4 times. Key on for two minutes. Key off for 30 seconds. Repeat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So yes I replaced the electric fuel pump but still no audible humming. There's a code that has showed up saying can bus message not arriving on time to the ecu or missing. CDU 23
190.09. Maybe this is linked to my problem. I ran the battery low with the lights then this showed up after I charged it. I was thinking that would go away once I started the engine ????? But maybe that's not allowing my fuel pump to run????

·
Registered
2 Posts
This specific code states there is a CAN BUS message missing to the cornerpost display from the ECU. Can you check for any other codes at the cornerpost display and list them off. If there are a lot of codes ending in .09, there is a CAN BUS communication fault. We are mainly looking for ECU codes though. This is a 9.0L engine correct? Make sure the connector at the fuel transfer pump is not corroded or damaged. Verify that all pins are straight and not pushed back into the connector. This code can be caused by a bad connection at this connector since the transfer pump is controlled by the ECU. If the connector looks okay, follow the harness as far as you can and look for any spots where it may be pulled tight, rubbing against something metal, or any break in the conduit. Correct any problems if found and try operating the machine after each fix (if any). Another thing to try is the old turn it off and back on. Disconnect the battery for 5 minutes and reconnect it. Cycle the key to the run position for two minutes and then try starting. If there are more codes it will help narrow down any electrical problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys. So Micah thinking about your comment about the plug and wiring harness I checked that and it's ok then I went real simple ( stupid me) to the fuse panel and found a fuse f29 that was corroded real bad. Bad enough to only have one leg so I dug out the corroded leg junk and cleaned it up and put in new fuse and even my old pump now works. Combine fired right up after letting it prime for a few cycles. So seeing the mess of that fuse I'm taking out every fuse and cleaning and coating with a small amount of diectric grease. Found 6 or 8 more corroded a bit and packed full of dust. This should be an annual inspection and cleaning. So even though I bot a 1350 pump for no reason I feel pleased that the problem bis solved. No more code either. Thanks guys for your help! Muchly appreciated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts