The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
That depends on what your definition of good corn is and how fast you want to travel, short answer is yes. You can travel 1mph slower and achieve the same throughput as a 10 row and less time turning on the ends. 20t corn it would be a good match

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the information. It might not have enough power to get through 12 rows of 26 ton corn then at 4 mph do u think? How fast do u run in 20 ton corn. I've had 7750's in the past so these are a step up from what im used to. Ha

·
Registered
278 Posts
I don't have any first hand experience with the 970 so I can't say for sure what the results would be but I think it would still do alright, we've got a 680hp machine and a 10 row head and IIRC we're at around 4.5-5mph in 20t. Still a lot of other variables to consider - hills or flat ground, soft fields, what type of processing job you want to achieve, and what speed your trucks can run at. If it were me I'd get the 12 still, you can always pull out and take a row or 2 less if conditions warrant it

·
Registered
70 Posts
Last fall we traded our 7780 in for a 970 and love it. When the 970 showed up we were using the Deere. On the same field same corn same header size we ran almost 2 mph faster. With a shreadlage processor. On ours we run a 10 row head.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.