The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Premier 2952i with a 972 header (with double swath single knife drive). When I am swathing heavy cereal crops like barley, wheat, and oats, the crop seems to get hung up on the outside ends by the tin shields. It builds up and then all at once lets it go. It does this every 5-10 seconds or so on each end and makes an uneven swath. The canvases are adjusted for the widest opening.
I am blaming it on the tin shields that are mounted on each end above the canvas. My tin shields are 9.5 inches wide at the knife and go to 17 inches wide by the time you get to the back of the deck. This tin tries to deflect the crop over and down before it hits the canvas.
I looked in the parts manual:
(Parts Catalogs | Product Support | MacDon)
On page 2 of the parts manual it shows two different tins that can be used
#8 = 7 inches wide = combine applications
#10 = 9.5 inches wide = windrower applications
It lists these both as deflectors.

What deflector should be on my header?
Has anyone ever just taken them off completely? (There might be to big of a gap between the side and canvas)

This problem is driving me nuts but yet when I cut canola it works just fine.....
Please let me know your thoughts on this. TIA

·
Super Moderator
5,150 Posts
I have a Premier 2952i with a 972 header (with double swath single knife drive). When I am swathing heavy cereal crops like barley, wheat, and oats, the crop seems to get hung up on the outside ends by the tin shields. It builds up and then all at once lets it go. It does this every 5-10 seconds or so on each end and makes an uneven swath. The canvases are adjusted for the widest opening.
I am blaming it on the tin shields that are mounted on each end above the canvas. My tin shields are 9.5 inches wide at the knife and go to 17 inches wide by the time you get to the back of the deck. This tin tries to deflect the crop over and down before it hits the canvas.
Has anyone ever just taken them off completely?
Yes.:)
I suggest you do it as well.
If you never double swath I doubt you'll miss them.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I would have the similar unit, although you may have a wider header as ours is a Premier 2952, 972 header, 25' with single knife drive and double swath and also has been set to the widest opening. MacDon came out with a couple of pages of a help guide to try various things to help with canola feeding some years ago and one suggestion was to take off the end deflectors if crop was hanging up. I believe our deflectors are the wide ones as well and I decided to take them off and it may have helped a bit for canola feeding in those green downed crappy areas. What we haven't cut since I took them off was grain so that is an unknown to my knowledge if it would cause a problem or not because of the bit of an air space left in the corners of the header. If I was you I would try it, maybe take one off first and see if that end eliminates the problem and if grain does or doesn't fall over the end onto the ground as I would think that would show up right away when that end was in the crop dividing it. If the missing weight on one end is too much and throws off the header ... well you would have to take them both off but thought maybe if one was off you could compare each ends performance.

The bonus to having them off makes it easier to work on replacing canvases and also since we have an aftermarket hydraulic feed roller just behind the top of the header opening, I can loosen the canvases and get in there to grease the roller bearings and not go through the hassle of having to stop the roller and get the timing of the fingers just right so I can shift a canvas over a bit just to gain access to the end bearings at the knife end of the rollers. Obviously we don't double swath as its impossible to have this roller installed and use the double swath setup.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
I have a 2952i with 30ft 972, triple delivery. Since I don't double swath I took the deflectors off 4 years ago and made the header feed much better. I think you only need them if you are going to lay double swath.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.