The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently running a 36 foot 960 head and was thinking of upgrading to a 972. Could someone tell me the difference between the two heads. As far as I can see it has smaller tyres and a different adapter setup with retractable fingers in the auger. Also it seems heavier on the machine. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
I believe the cutterbar is different. 972 has better knife angle for shaving close to ground.
Yes and I believe that the 972 had a better setup for tensioning the canvasses. I would think there were many other subtle differences as well. 972 was a higher-end header at the time.

·
Super Moderator
5,054 Posts
All correct.
The knife angle was 7 degrees steeper than the 973 that followed which was intended as a combine header.
The 972 was the first MacDon header that incorporated the "C" shaped cutter bar for closer cutting still used today.

·
Registered
592 Posts
972 is leaps and bounds better than a 960. If theres a molehill the 960 will make take it in and a 972 will flatten it without taking it in. The 972 has the newer style wobble box. the reel fore and aft is a better system because it moves parelell to your header angle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.