The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a customer wanting to run a 36 foot 974 Flexdraper on his 9600. We haven't seen anything bigger than 30 ft on walker machines till now. Need to know if extra lift cylinders are needed on feeder house and/or balast on rear of combine? Any final drive issues to watch for?

·
Registered
32 Posts
We are wondering the same question. It is strange but we were pricing a 36' 974 and were curious if it can be done or if it will cause issues.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have never ran a 36' on a 9600 but when my 36' for my Lexion came in it was had a JD adapter in it and I used our 9600 to unload it and move it around until I changed adapters. We have the larger lift cylinders under the feeder house and it handled fine. With the large cylinders on I can lift our 18-20 corn head and move it around, that will make the rear end light.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Is there any updates on running a 36' 974 on a 9600. I am wanting to do it, but am concerned about the lifting ability. I have a 1993 9600 corn spec combine, would that have the bigger cylinders? I measured them and they are 2-1/8" ram size

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The customer I originally talked about decided to put the 974 on his 9600. The 2-1/8 cylinders had a lot of trouble lifting the header so I installed the 2-3/8 cylinders and it worked fine. The back end of the combine was VERY light, basically unsafe to drive. He had the rear wheels ballasted with calcium and it was adequate to hold it down. Having rear wheel assist would help a lot because of the weight of the cam lobe motors.

I just did a preseason check on the machine and the final drive oils were a little dark with a slight hint of silver in it. The oil was fresh before '08 harvest. So I would say anyone running a setup like this, for sure change drive oils every year.

This particular 9600 had a Sunnybrook cylinder, PF prethresher plate, Deere beater speed up kit, and a 20% power chip. The 974 was an excellent match to the capacity of the machine but he did plug the beater several times so I installed a PF beater this year with a 60% speed up kit.

The dial-a-matic height control does not work well on the 974. The jump from one position to another is too great. I installed the Headsight height control kit so that the new style potentiometer sensor can be used. This worked very well due to the infinite adjustability.

http://www.lankota.com/product_details.aspx?LanID=259

1 - 5 of 5 Posts