The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
yeah or you might be able to turn up the hydralics on that end and it might be able to lift it fine without the 3rd cylindar...

we put fluid in the back tires as well since we roll combines yearly...

u will really like this head..... good luck

·
Registered
728 Posts
I would say that you will have no trouble we run a 1083 on our 2366 with out weights and have no problem surly a 2388 will handle that 30 ft draper!
How much does that draper weigh it isn't nearly a heavy as the 12 row corn heads is it.
please correct me if i am wrong.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
We run a 12 row 30 in corn head on our 2188 and it does it. We added weights to the back. We took suitcase weights from a 7130 and had our local machine shop build a bracket. Also have the third cylinder and fluid in the tires.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Found a nice 30ft 974 to replace our 1020. Question i have is a 2388 going to be able to handle it without being 12 row ready. We have a bunch of old IH weights if we add the kit to ours, so all we would need would be the feeder house ram kit and the weight bracket. I've seen many 2388's running 36ft heads with the 12 row kit, just wondering if it can run a 30ft without the 12 row kit.

·
Registered
103 Posts
i have a 974 on a 2388 right now, and it definitely has to be 12 row ready. we run 36' drapers and didn't think that a 30' flex would be that much heavier, but it is. you need the third cylinder and i put about 1800 pounds of weight on the a** end to help balance it out. it will run without the weight but when in road gear and need to stop your a** end will come off the ground and give you a little scare, plus makes it hard to steer. the 974 is an excellent head we run it next to some of our 1020's and there is no comparison. we were seeing anywhere from a 10 to 15% increase in bushel compared to a 1020, and when your plants drops low pods it cuts alot lower with the cutter bar tilt. i might be selling mine i think i am jumping into a 8010, its an 05 in really good shape, i just put new bearings and one belt on it this fall.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Definatly need the third cylinder and weight. We ran a 30 974 for 3 years on our 2000 2388 and had the rear tires full of fluid plus 800 lbs of suitcase weights on the rear axle. Then it roaded really nice. No problem at top speed. We took our combine to the dealership to have it all set up when we traded, and they tried to lift our new 974 when it was delivered and he said he couldn't even pick it up. I wasn't there to see it to prove it but it is a very heavy header. 30' 974 is 4874lbs and 36' 974 is 5312lbs, plus the weight of the adapter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts