The Combine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a debate among some neighbors looking to upgrade, ourselves included. We have what they have and we all want to go back to red this time due to local dealer support(great) as our local deere support has been pulled and we are less than impressed with mobile service from JD dealers further away that is "trying" to take over the territory our local dealer managed. What used to be 10 minute and 30 minutes away is now an hour away for our closest deere dealer while red is 30 and 45 mins away yet stellar mobile service.

That aside, all of us are considering upgrading our 9750's/9760's to 7120s/7230's and 8120s/8230s mainly. Most of us have two sts and we have no desire to go from 2 to 1 as we want remain running 2 7120s/7230s or 8120s/8230s. The biggest question facing us is, is the 7120s/7230s really that much bigger than 9750/9760's? We want to at least do a little more than what our STS's can do. Going this way is cheaper than 8120/8230 but we would consider them if it made sense to do so. TIA

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have no experience with the deers but I wouldn't think the 7120/30 series would be that much bigger. maybe alittle bigger but not too much.

·
Registered
368 Posts
If you do go case make sure it has a large tube rotor. I think you'd be better off with the X120 series, reliability seemed to go backwards on the X230. I custom combined along side a farmer that had both a 9120 and a 7120, and the 7120 seemed to be at least a mile per hour slower. Dont rule out the 9120 yet, it seems that used class 8's and 9's are very similar in price, but an 8120 with a chip is the same thing, whichever is cheaper.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you do go case make sure it has a large tube rotor. I think you'd be better off with the X120 series, reliability seemed to go backwards on the X230. I custom combined along side a farmer that had both a 9120 and a 7120, and the 7120 seemed to be at least a mile per hour slower. Dont rule out the 9120 yet, it seems that used class 8's and 9's are very similar in price, but an 8120 with a chip is the same thing, whichever is cheaper.

Is the large tube rotor the same as afx rotor and or standard rotor?

·
Registered
869 Posts
We have a 9760 with sunny brook concaves and a stock small tube 9120 and I was surprised at how the jd was close in capacity in wheat. I don't know about the 7120 but I would guess there would not be any speed advantage with the 7120 over a 9760. Our 9120 was running at 90+% load.
In canola and peas the case was much better and definitely had an advantage over the jd. Peas it was the headder and canola it just puts more thru with less losses than the jd. That's what we found after one year of side by side with these two machines.
I'd say 8130 or 9120. IMO

·
Registered
422 Posts
There's none of those running around other than older stuff and dealership/service is not close by. Mostly JD and CASE around here with a handful of CAT around here.
AGCO dealers in Jamestown, Garrison, Casselton , Minot and Hoople. New Holland has 15 dealers in ND. Butler Machine has AGCO and Claas combines

·
Registered
422 Posts
A neighbour has been solid IH and CaseIH since 1950 in 2015 they switched to Claas and say they aren't sorry. We run a MF 9560 and love it the cooling system on those things are first class. Another neighbour runs NH combines and there pleased with them. So all I'm saying is keep your mind open to the competition out there. Check them all over and see you might be surprised.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts