The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on buying a 9750 John Deere combine to do custom combining for this up coming year. As fellow producers and custom cutters what are some things to look out for on a 9750? I am planning on finding some work for the wheat harvest as well as some soybeans as possible some corn. As far as finding work, what is the market for a guy running one machine. I was would like to find some work, possibly with a larger farm who currently has some equipment and needs some extra help during harvest or a custom cutter who needs some extra help along the trail. Or possibly guys who have older machines who just want to hire one guy? I don't plan on having trucks this year so the hauling would have to be provided by the producer or hired out. Is this a feasible proposition or wishful thinking? I know there is a lot of cynicism out there, rightfully so, but I would be interested in some constructive criticism or any suggestions you might have. Thanks.

·
Registered
521 Posts
One piece of advice I would offer is to save the dinero and purchase a 60 series instead of the 50 series...

As far as your other questions go...man...that could be a tough call. Granted, most people desire the whole setup when hiring a custom cutter ; but like you said, you might be able to jump-in with somebody else who's already in the field. It's kinda sad the way things have gone these days...it takes SO much capital to get a line-up of equipment these days! Tractor, cart, combine(s), trucks, trailers, etc....and last but not least, dependable help to run it all !! Around here, folks don't even like just one combine in the field!! I know it is not logical, as one of these new combines will often do as much as two older ones will do...but that's the way it is...again, around here, anyway...

I wish you the best, and hope it works for you.
I'm sure you will get a lot more input pertaining to your questions

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I agree with TX Farmer. I would probably look for a 60 series if you can locate one for a reasonable price. We had a lot of electrical problems with our 50's once they had some hours up. They also tend to crack under the bin, the support for the unload auger is not strong enough. The 60's have a little more horsepower which is always helpful, and just a bit nicer all round. As for some of your other qsts I can't really help, but I do believe it is far easier to look after an run one combine yourself.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was wondering how you fixed the cracks under the bin on the 50's? I heard there is a kit but just wondering if you had suggestions?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
We normally used to brace them with another bit of steel and then weld it or sometimes bolt it. This normally worked long enough to see the season out and then be traded up. It was never easy because of the position and and there is not much room to move. Deere fixed the weakness on the 60's cos we haven't had one problem with them (cracking under the bin) and a couple have run more hours and probably had a harder life than the original 9750's.

·
Registered
778 Posts
50 series tank repair kit is AH208662. I've noticed machines with mud or rice tires have significantly more trouble with frame cracks due to vibration from the large lugs contacting the ground.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
If you want to buy yourself a job harvesting, buy a semi and trailer. Almost no one has enough trucks to keep the combine they already have busy, and it is going to get worse every time they trade.

·
Registered
48 Posts
my dwgray. I have the single point silver hook up for the feederhouse that I will make you a deal on. You still will need the hoses and install and etc. Next, I would not try to start and invest money to custom cut. Probably the toughest business in the world especially now with all the farmers having big combines and getting done quickly and wanting to cut more too. Labor, trucks, tractor, grain cars, insurance, repairs, fuel and etc.... Not the answer...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts