The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 9750 has 1000 sep hrs and needs a rebuild. We harvest Wheat Barley Canola and Peas so Ideally I would like to have a concave config. that will work for all crops with no need to swap concaves, just add filler plates for the harder thresh crops. What are you guys using that might apply to my case, we do alot of our crop at 16-20 % moist. and crops yield about 50bu Wheat, 70 bu bly 35 canola and 60 bu peas. Would like to have your feedback?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Separator is worn out at 1000 hrs and you're not doing corn? That seems a bit early.

Obviously the small wire concaves will work best for wheat, barley, canola. I don't know much about peas, I assume it's a large seed and in that case round bar or large wire concaves work best. I know of guys who pull every 3rd or 4th wire out of small wire concaves for their large seed crops but this is almost as much work as switching concaves. Performance will be better if you switch to the right concaves for the job. You might be able to use large wires with several filler strips but it would be a trial and error thing.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just reaching its min tolarance, we probably pick about half swaths which will sure wear faster plus had 3 years of sawflies thathad us swathing the deck followed by rain that sprouted the swaths to the ground. Not the typical US straight cut conditions. Peas are large seeds and seed coat can be very fragile that is why we combine these at high moisture.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dealer told me that he has seen guys use 1 small wire in the front the 2 wide space in the middle and rear, has any one done this?

·
Registered
530 Posts
try loewan helical concaves, they work well for rotors in small grains from what Im told. Or you can send the ones you got to St. Johns welding and get them rebuilt for a fraction of the cost of new.

·
Registered
177 Posts
On a 60 we run small wire on all three with interrupters in the first one and we also have smooth or straight elements on the back 9, trying to get back to the 50's for a more aggressive thrash in wheat. Would like to be more aggressive but this seems to be the simplest fix. As for the pea sample we averaged .7 splits in 4500 acres. We tried to cut them wet like you do. Also we did have a few hours of wheat to wear the sharp edges off before the peas.

good luck, chad

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bighammer did you use your small wire on peas as well? We grow yellows that can be almost double the size of green field peas. Last year we replaced the first three sets af elements with rasp type and left the rear elements smooth, I found this to work more aggresive in wheat and our white caps were alot less but we still had good power because we left some of the elemnt smooth.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yes we left the small wires in and we only did green peas which did not fit through the wires. We relied on the separator grates for all the separation. For the situation it worked pretty good. If we had to do a lot more or only had to switch one machine we would have used round bars to gain a little more ground speed.

chad

·
Registered
400 Posts
we have a customer running large wire only, he installs the filler plates for the small grains (wheat and barley). and he pulls them out for corn and soybeans. he is very happy with the job it does.

however, he doesn't have canola or peas, the large wire may not get the job done in the canola, mixing the small and large wire may be the way to go here

1 - 9 of 9 Posts