The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will the shaft be warm after running it? i noticed that the seal around the bearing on gearbox is seaping a bit. so i am a bit worried that bearing is going out.

·
Registered
400 Posts
are you talking about the seal by the clutch, or the one under the grain tank?
also, when was the oil last changed in the gearbox?

·
Registered
400 Posts
is the clutch hub tight in the gearcase, it could be loose and vibrating in there creating heat, also make sure to grease the zerk between the clutch and gearcase

it is possible the bearing could be going out, maybe drop the oil again and see if it is burnt. i haven't seen too many bearing failures in those gearcases

·
Registered
94 Posts
Like ststech said make sure to grease the zerk behind teh electric clutch. Make sure you grease it until there is grease comming out of the slit cut in the primary countershaft on the backside of the gearcase. What type oil are you running in the gearcase? We have switched over to synthetic and have noticed that the oil is not so burnt after a year or two.

·
Registered
18 Posts
are you talking about the seal by the clutch, or the one under the grain tank?
also, when was the oil last changed in the gearbox?
sorry to bump this thread up but it is very related to my question

the seal under the grain tank on my gearbox is leaking,
1. whats it take to replace the seal?
2. & what might be reason for it leaking?

last time oil was changed is unknown, planning on doing it when we change out the seal.

·
Registered
400 Posts
what machine is it?

will have to pull the primary countershaft, remove the clutch and pull it out of the other side. 70 series have an access panel in the grain tank that you can change it through. on older machines, you have 2 options. remove the gearcase. or if you are not clostrophobic, crawl in there from the rh side. I've done both, it is super tight in there sitting on top of the rotor cover, (but I did fit 6'4" 250lbs).

as for why, if its an older machine, seals fail. if the oil is burnt that could have something to do with it. I recommend changing oil in there every year, using synthetic TY26408.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts