The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have A 9750 and last fall I took the small wire concaves out to put in the round bar concaves. The small wire concaves have three filler plates on them. There are two at the front of the first concave and one on one of the back two. My problem is I can't remember if the filler plate was on the second or third concave. I would also like to know if there is any place around that rebuilds these concaves.

·
Registered
174 Posts
i havend seen a 9750 cc before but i think the filler plate goes in where the return enters

hope this helps

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
I don't know if the re-building of concaves has ever been economically viable - & before I get a blast of abuse from others, I'll just clarrify that. When a concave is worn, they are usually not straight as well. They can also be twisted, the wires are worn out & the holes the wires run in are worn as well. From experience, I feel, by the time you spend all the money to repair it , you may as well buy new ones. You really are only putting a bandage on a gaping wound. It's up to you but I've wasted money on repairing concaves before. By the way. I don't work for any manufactures or dealers. I've just had 25 years experience in fixing combines, owning & operating them. Another thing that you might like to think about. Why would concaves need blanking or filler plates in them if they designed properly in the first place?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't plan on putting rebuilt back in I was just hoping to get a little beer money out of the old ones. I have wondered also why they need the filler plates or how you determine where they go to begin with.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Erkie, I know someone who could probably answer your question way better than I could. Why not look up St. John Welding at St. John, KS? They have done much work with concaves. Yes, while I do largely agree with Rod on as much, I also know that many have been very well satisfied with retrued, reworked, and especially hardsrfaced concaves. Simply put, some concaves are reparable; others are not.

Oh well, I see the same issue with old combines themselves, too. Not all of them are restorable.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Erkie, you can also buy hardfaced concaves from Deere and other suppliers.

About the filler strips: Most rotors (and conventionals) have problems with hard to thresh wheat and white caps. Therefore they put these strips under the concave to hold the grain in longer and get it threshed more. Red combines do that, too I know and I bet ohter colors are alike.
Of course keeping the grain in the concave longer increases risk of cracking kernels. Therefore I would try enerything else first (tighten concave, speed up rotor) before I cover the concave.

The concave with the single filler strip in the middle goes under the return auger dump.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts