The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was harvesting grass seed today and it was pretty tough going so i was just wondering what engine rpm you guys let your combine lug down to off full throttle before you pull back on the hydro lever. Also i`ve got the rotor set on 1000 rpm so what rpm lug down would be acceptable on the rotor? Was going down to 950ish.
It`s the first time i`ve used the STS in grass with a 25ft draper.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
They can lug down to 2000 engine rpm jdmad. Any lower than that you start to run the risk of choking her up and or stalling. If i have the crop to put thru, I like to run them around 2100.

·
Registered
745 Posts
What the hell, tough grass seed? We harvest also lots of grass, lots of different varieties... Although we do direct cutting with 30ft, we ont even come close to 30-40 % engine capacity.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What machine do you use? We harvest different types too, The one yesterday is 3-4 ft tall, cut to the ground, and green as the paint on the harvester. You must have a very big harvester. My neighbour has a lexion 600 witha 30ft ftont and it`s got it`s balls hanging out harvesting this type of grass. What grass is it that you harvest?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Anything from lawn seeds for golf places to forage grasses...

Different Varieties of:

SHEEP´S FESCUE
SMOOTH STALKED MEADOW GRASS
CHEWINGS RED FESCUE
COCKSFOOT
PERENNIAL RYEGRASS
ITALIAN RYEGRASS
HYBRID RYEGRASS
WESTERWOLDS RYEGRASS
MEADOW FESCUE
STRONG CREEPING RED FESCUE
SLENDER CREEPING RED FESCUE
MEADOW FOXTAILS
TALL OAT GRASS
GOLDEN OAT GRASS
SMOOTH STALKED MEADOW GRASS
BROWN TOP BENT

(not in order of the amount/ha)

Most of this isnt 2-4ft tall when harvested
Maybe the COCKSFOOT. But mhhh, you cant find any bigger than a Lex600. And if this one is having problems it must be really a heck of a grass... since we also use Lexions to harvest it. 440, 480, 600...

e.g. with the Lex 480 we do easily 4ha/hr

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What part of the world are you in? I wouldn`t say the lexion 600 has problems but it sure doesn`t do 4 ha/hr.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts