The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 9750 ive only got the small wire concave and was wondering if i should use my filler plates while cutting peas, or should i take them off? right now i have them on 1,2,5,6,7. any ideas would be appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
I am brand new to the rotory machine, so I don't know how much help I can be, but I am not even sure the small wire concaves will work for peas, especially yellow varieties. From what I understand the peas are too big to fall through the small wire concaves. I think the roundbar concaves are what's recomended for largers crops like peas. Having filler plates in on any style concave will keep the material in the rotor longer and give you a more agressive thrash, not really what you want for peas.

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
We run the large wire concaves for peas (not the round bar, aren't they for corn anyways?) Lots of guys pull every second wire out of their small wire concaves and that seems to work. I would never use any filler plates for peas. IMO most of the peas are already thrashed out before they get to the rotor they just need to be separated. On our 9860s I have run my rotor at 200-300rpm in the middle of the day when everything is dry. We grow yellow peas so they are fairly large in size.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think i will take the filler plates out.....and i have cut yellow peas the last 3 years with the small wire concaves and had little trouble with cracking. seems to work alright so i will stick with it, but i will definitely take the plates out

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Thats interesting, nobody around here used small wire maybe you have different varieties, anybody grow alfetta or golden peas?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the variety of peas we seed is delta. the 9750 seems to work fine....way better than our 9500 does....which cracks them more

·
Registered
177 Posts
We run small wire with no covers, and splits are under 1. Usually .6 to .8. I imagine our capacity is a little lower than running with round bars, but it seems to work really well.

Chad

·
Registered
160 Posts
Good to know that you can use the small wires in yellow peas. We just bought our first 9750 and peas will be the first crop we combine with it. I was thinking I was going to have to buy a different set of concaves for it right off the bat, but sounds like maybe I can get away with what's in it.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
my brother runs a 9750 and this last year he got lazy and left the small wire concaves in, we see about a 2 percent increase in cracks compared to before we thought, this year we will be putting in the large wire once again

keep in mind that goldens are smaller than deltas and you should see less damage

1 - 9 of 9 Posts