The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI from down-under, can someone tell me if you get good enough coverage with the standard straw chopper on a JD 9750 to cover evenly behind a 35 flex front in cereals?....we grow fairly heavy crops around 70 bus in wheat and 85 in barley with alot of straw,and after last harvest we had real problems getting thru trash left behind with just spreaders for planting, so going to a chopper this year,any tips on step-up of chopper appreciated!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
My experience on a 9650 and 9660 is they will struggle to spread much more than 25' maybe 30'
I've heard the 70 series chopper will spread better. You might check out the improvements and see if it is possible to retrofit. Is the power spreader board an option?

·
Registered
142 Posts
It will not spread it the full 35' but it will chop it up with the knifes all the way in to where you wont see much straw at all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input, thats what I have found to be the case here as well....maybe I look at the power spreader board and setup on a 60 series as well for options

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
30' with a new set of blades is about the best you'll see and more like 25' once the blades wear a bit. The fine cut chopper on the 70 series is considerably better and will still spread consistently as the blades wear. The power cast tail board can be fitted to a 60 series so i assume it will fit 50 series as well???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts