The Combine Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been using a 9750 for several years to do my combing and really like it and its been good to me. But picked up another 500 acres of land this year and the 9750 was near capacity before. So how much more capacity would i get out of a 9770 or a 9870? Or i could just go for another 9750 and run two of them. Then i would have lots of capacity.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Depends

Have you done anything to your 9750 to get more out of it? They can be made to run not too far behind the 9870's. Otherwise if you have man power to service and run another machine 2 is always better than 1.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We upgraded to a 9870 from a 9610. We went with the bigger machine for the increased power on unloading on the go and handling the 40' draper heads on hills. We run one machine and went with the go big or go home approach. A lot of guys around here buy the 9770's and chip them to get the power but we found out we could buy a 9870 cheaper than a 9770...

·
Registered
514 Posts
It would depend what your conditions are. If you don't have tough conditions often a 9770 would be ok, tough conditions you would want a 9870. The 9870 will burn more fuel at the same loss in dry conditions (cereals,pulses,canola) so its all a trade off. We quite easily could do 5000 ac/9870.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Been using a 9750 for several years to do my combing and really like it and its been good to me. But picked up another 500 acres of land this year and the 9750 was near capacity before. So how much more capacity would i get out of a 9770 or a 9870? Or i could just go for another 9750 and run two of them. Then i would have lots of capacity.
9750 to 9770 would be about 15% to 20% increase. This was what we saw running side by side last year.

·
Registered
261 Posts
How many acres have you been doing so far? Was it to much for the 9750? I'd say if you had 500 acres so far and just doubled the amount of the land, another 9750 ( and operator ) should cut it. Also, i don't think it'll hurt you if you step it up a bit too:)

·
Registered
205 Posts
We upgraded to a 9870 from a 9610. We went with the bigger machine for the increased power on unloading on the go and handling the 40' draper heads on hills. We run one machine and went with the go big or go home approach. A lot of guys around here buy the 9770's and chip them to get the power but we found out we could buy a 9870 cheaper than a 9770...
Both the 9770 and 9870 perform well, but the 9870 burns much more
fuel, even in light harvesting conditions. 3-4 gallons per hour more means
a much higher harvesting cost with a 9870. Some chip the 9870 to try to
get better fuel economy. That is why they sell for less used or at auction.

Do you see many custom harvesters running 9870's or S680, 690's.

No, they run the 9770 STS and more of the S670. They need to make money to stay in business.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We've got a 9770 it was a bit lean on power when conditions got tough,We had Ekotune work there magic,totally different machine still pretty fair on fuel,If you push it hard it will drink fuel,but dollar for dollar I think it's the way to go but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please help me.
Last year I bougth a 9760sts to harvest corn. It is my first combine and I'm lerning to use and set it. I have a lot of corn losses, corn yields produces 14-16 ton/ha. Moiseture average 14%
My corn settings is this:
Rotor 330rpm
Cleaning fan 800rpm
Concave 26-31
Sieves up 22
Down 17
1,7 mph ground speed.
Please someody help me, tell me what to do thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
With a 9770 you'll get a bullet rotor, we had a 9860 with the standard rotor and traded it on a 9870. The bullet rotor made a big difference in crops with high material and tough conditions. The 70 series were are a more refined machine compared to the 50 series plus a 70 series would be less hours and less maintenance then another 50 series. I myself wish we had got a 9770 just cause the fuel efficiency is better and to be honest the 9770 isn't far behind the 9870 in field productivity.

·
Registered
87 Posts
We went from a 03 9750 to a 09 9870. The 9870 hands down is a better all round machine. Our 9750 ran out of cleaning before HP in canola and cereals during the heat of the day. So my thinking was the 9870 had a different sieve setup and longer stroke. A 9770 seemed like a newer turned up 9750 with nice options that would leave us short on cleaning?? We still don't run the 98 to HP, but did pick up maybe 15% in speed at best. With the HUR auger and nicer feeder house a 9770 or 9870 will be a upgrade for sure. We had a really good test when we rented the 9750 back from the dealer to finish up harvest. Keep in mind this is in our conditions and being fairly fussy on loses. Good luck!

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,880 Posts
Please help me.
Last year I bougth a 9760sts to harvest corn. It is my first combine and I'm lerning to use and set it. I have a lot of corn losses, corn yields produces 14-16 ton/ha. Moiseture average 14%
My corn settings is this:
Rotor 330rpm
Cleaning fan 800rpm
Concave 26-31
Sieves up 22
Down 17
1,7 mph ground speed.
Please someody help me, tell me what to do thanks

Have you actually got losses on the ground? The STS loss monitors often seem to read bits of cob. Have you set the right grain size? I always run 40 for sensitivity in corn.

Now if you do have loss I recommend you do a stall shop and find out where the loss is coming from. Take the LHS plastic covers of rotor and see what's happening in there. You want all the kernels rubbed of by the third concave. Lift the chopper and climb in there and have a look at the sieve loading and whether any grain is under the rear beater tray.

You won't blow corn out so maybe you need more air to lift all the rubbish on your sieves. It may be carrying grain out with it.

9760 settings in same corn yield and moisture:
Rotor 200-250rpm
Corn concaves a must 20
Fan 1050 rpm
Chaffer 14
Sieve 12-14
Feed Acc - slow

* make sure the cob deflector plate is down in your chopper or you will damage the top sieve.

* check your loss isn't from your corn front deck plates first

* if your corn front is taking alot of trash in you may want to consider a kit from donny disrupter. He is on the forum here somewhere.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The 9870 and and 9770 have the exact same sieve length and width...the 9870 added pre cleaner length is usually only a bonus in corn, or can be bolted into a 9770 directly, all the holes exist. So if you are not needing the horsepower, a 9870 offers very few advantages in any other way.
Deer advertise 15% more cleaning for the 9870? But I've never ran a 9770 and 9870 together to prove it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I totally agree. Many around here have pulled the pre cleaner then put it back in trying to see it it helps or not in our area, 50-80 bu HRS wheat or 40-60 bu canola. In any case you could add it to a 9770 if you wanted like you said if it works better. Our neighbour ran 9770's and 98,s together and felt the 98's did a better job. But he may have had the 9770,s on the edge for power dropping them below the shoes efficient cleaning Rpm making it a HP thing in the end. Who knows.

·
Registered
83 Posts
We have ran a 9870 for 4 years and just upgraded to newer 9770 with fewer hours. The 9770 has pro drive and wide floaters instead of duals. I was also wanting to know how they would compare on productivity and fuel. We run 35' macdon fd70 in 50-80 bushel soybeans and 894 corn head (38" rows) in corn. Do you set them different to achieve low losses since there is not the Chaffer extension? Hopefully we will not lose much productivity and save fuel. High yielding soybeans might be where the 9770 struggles more.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Found in light chaffy canola and flax the extended pre-cleaner hurts you. Especially in flax. In nice clean wheat when pushing hard I think it might help. What it's made for is mainly corn. The S series has helped a lot with the longer cleaning shoe

·
Registered
25 Posts
We run a 9770 STS with a 12 row corn head, and it does a great job even in a heavy crop. We run a 25 ft grain table on it which is small for that combine, but the size of our grain fields does not warrant a bigger table

1 - 19 of 19 Posts