The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not unheard of for a 3 - 4 year old STS to have $30,000 spent on it. A few not far from here have had repair bills of $30,000 + but instead opted to trade - into another Deere!? They are green people though - nevermind.
The sand wouldn't have helped the situation, but still it's only 1500hours. 1500 rotor or engine hours? What your dealer meant I think was trade to a different make?:)

·
Registered
778 Posts
The problem with dealer shops first of all is the rate. Locally they are around $100/hr and for that you might get some kid that is in his first or second year of tech school and is actually learning on your machine so it may take 30% longer than an experienced tech to get the same job done. Secondly, they will insist on replacing parts that are only 40/50% worn, knowing full well it would go another season or two. It also doesn't help that Deere parts keep getting more expensive all the time, which is why I use as many aftermarket parts as possible. Those shaker drive bearings can be bought with flanges from Lankota for almost half the money of Deere ones and they have a year warranty vs. 90 days. Also try Lankota chopper knives. I'm sure I could get you going for half what they quoted you.

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
Shop rate in MB is over $100 but to be fair, can you really fix the computer in the combine/tractor yourself? It is not just pulling wrenches anymore, pretty specialized work. As far as throwing 20g into a combine, I am surprised at how much has worn out, that is alot different conditions than my area. I would sit down with your service mngr. and go through all the repairs and decide for yourself what will make a season or not. Thats what we always used todo but then we would do almost all the fixing ourselves. It is not unheard of to put $5000 into a one year old STS in parts/labour, of course that can easily be caused by one rock and not be noticed until later.

·
Registered
504 Posts
We spent around $8,000 in 2003 or 2004 on our then 2 yr old 9750 that had less than 800 rotor hours just to get it back in usable shape. 8 grand 4 or 5 years ago is probably 15 grand now.

We traded but did not go back green. After that thing started costing $300-400 a day in parts just to keep it going, it had to go. There will NEVER be another STS on this farm. After seeing all of our green neighbors all break the same parts this fall picking up down rice it makes me even happier to not own one!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just took my 03 9750 in for a preventative maintinence inspection after a fall harvest of breakdowns. I was not ready for what I was told my machine needed. I was not expecting this from a 1500 hr machine. Basically everything from the feeder drum to the chopper is worn out. Things i was told were Feeder needs total rebuild, Feed acceler is shot, auger bed augers and brgs, concaves are shot, cracks in the grain tank, dirt and dust in my primary shaft gearbox causing seal failure, reverser leaks, shaker system drive bgs that were replaced once already. Leaks around engine gear case, chopper rebuild, all the clean grain system augers. Along with the normal belt, chain, idler pulley and raspbar wear. The mechanic wants to change about every brg on the machine. I know there was more I could go on and on. I might get it out of the shop for $20,000 if I help with the labor.

I know I run in high wear conditions because I farm sand ground but what are you other farmers experiencing with your STS machines with similar hours from your dealer inspections?
All my dealer can say is you should trade sooner. This is my first JD combine and I am NOT impressed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
There will never be another STS on my farm when this one is gone. I should trade but I cannot do that right now. Yes it was only 1500 eng hours. I never had this kind of maintinence exspense on my axial flow. I traded to Deere because they threw a brand disloyalty discount at me. But now if I talk about a trade JD for JD there is no Loyalty discount. Imagine that , once you are in a JD the dealer puts the screws to you at trade time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I seen Ultimate Factories on speed channel one night when they were at the deere combine factory. It was funny see all these KID engineers sitting at there computers who probably never turned a wrench designing these machines. Plus at the end another engineer said when they put a machine up on a treadmill torture machine or ADB I guess thats what they call it, he said if we can't break it here I know the farmer won't be able to. B**L S**T

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
we bought our 01 9650sts this year and had little problems...two breakdowns that took us our for two days. its been in the dealer inspection program every year which seemed to help quite a bit as keeping it in tip-top shape for us as the new owners and we have the dealer inspect it every year, not only to keep it running good but sometimes if they replace something and it fails, they'll stand behind their work and eat the cost.

I'm not sure what ours has done and not sure if i want to know what was done before we bought it

·
Registered
25 Posts
I guess all the other colors have grown ups engineering there machines.

Yah I want my combines designed by a old guy with ruler, protractor and #2 pencil VS a young person in their 20s that can do it with a computer in half the time

·
Registered
200 Posts
how many 30 year old sts machines do you think there will be? still see a lot of yellow cab tops around the country......

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
30 year old STS's? Umm, probably won't see many. As for the old "yellow cab tops" that are still going, how much money has been put into those old machines over their lifetime to keep them going?

I don't get why some guys just can't make sense of buying a new combine so they run the same one for 20 or 30 years. If they stop and look at how much money they've put into that machine over they years they'd probably realize that they could've bought a new combine with all that money. I say make payments on a new machine with the money instead of paying repair bills.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
30 year old STS's? Umm, probably won't see many. As for the old "yellow cab tops" that are still going, how much money has been put into those old machines over their lifetime to keep them going?

I don't get why some guys just can't make sense of buying a new combine so they run the same one for 20 or 30 years. If they stop and look at how much money they've put into that machine over they years they'd probably realize that they could've bought a new combine with all that money. I say make payments on new machine with the money instead of paying repair bills.
How many new combines have you paid for connor? Didn't you say your dad bought the 9750. I have never bought a new combine and can't myself pencil out a new one. Your ignorance keeps shining through with your posts on 20 series JDs. JD's marketing scheme was to build high quality products through the last several decades. I argue that nobody built better combines than JD in 4 decades. I am positive that I will get lots of arguments on that but I know one thing the L2 gleaner came nowhere close to the reliability of a 20 series, and I know the parts are cheaper and are still available. You can get every part for these combines in 24hrs. If you think 6$/per engine hr. to keep a 27 year old combine going is expensive maintenance, or 7 gallons per hr fuel, than your on crack. Trade your 9750 on a R72 and quit whining.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Well is that a proven fact that 20 series Deeres were more reliable than the Gleaners. So maybe in your experience thats what you have observed. In my personal experience I have observed the complete opposite. Don't tell me that parts are cheaper for the Deeres either, because that is a load of BS. Every combine part that we've had to buy out of the green store has always been more expensive than the competitors, you should hear what my dad says when he hears how much parts cost for the Deere. If it says Deere on it and comes out of that dealer then you're paying a premium price for it, there's no secret there. Our Gleaner cost a lot less to maintain and run than our Deere does by a long shot. And as for this combine I make the payments on it and take care of the maintenace and repairs.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Yes, thats a proven fact. More proven than any of your facts. Go get yourself a cheap R72. You could sell your sts and buy 2.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Prove them then. Or disprove mine, I guess all the money and repairs I've had to dump into this green combine is all fictional right. And sell my STS for two 72's, nice try.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Why not? You should easily be able to get $150,000 give or take for that 9750... if it's close to this... http://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/det....428078D99E27B02

Here's your R-72 for $72,500 http://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/det....428078D99E27B02

You should have $77,500 left to buy this one http://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/det....428078D99E27B02 but you'll have to borrow $10,500 for this combine but it comes with heads so really minus heads you're in the ball game.

I have no complaints with the Gleaner machines they're good machines as is the red, yellow, whatever. If the STS is killing you trade yourself out of it, I'm sure the banker will agree that the 1-2 trade has to be better. Let's see pictures of the two machines together when you get them home.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Well I have an '02 9650, and I don't really see the point in gettin an older combine/s. Compare apples to apples here and find me 2 62's or 65's for the same price as one 9650 the same age.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts