The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just mine or does everyone have a lot of problems with there moisture tester. I have gone through two motors in less then a year

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am having problems with mine also. I have changed the motor twice, and now I am getting a rely error message and the sensor does not work. JD dealer had to send a DTAC code in to JD. Still not working.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hands down the weakest link in the yield mapping components on the 60s. Go through one a year. This year, I'm taking it off and gonna put in under the bed in some fancy suitcase for storage. Worth a try..........

·
Registered
400 Posts
those things have been a problem since they came out in 04. i have had a few guys ask if i could put the elevator side mount on instead.
i carry a complete with me in the service truck so i can just swap it out and get them on their way.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all they would need to do is put a more HD motor in it. the motor they have just can take running that much. I do know there is a software update that you can set how often it run. Plus you can shut it off if you dont need it. should help save on the motor.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Is it really a too small a motor?

I have seen a lot of moisture in the housings corroding motors and relays. I have wondered if drilling a little hole in the bottom of the housing would help drain the water and therefore keep the components dry.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I see there is new software on stellar, it was by chance i was playing with the settings and found that we can now slow the moisture sensor down to i think one or two samples per minute. I am sure this must help i have changed all the combines to min/minute i think this will help. I figure now motor doesn't have to work so hard.

·
Registered
486 Posts
They are the worst thing that John Deere has ever put together!

Be carefull in canolla, the seeds can slip past the plunger, and end up behind it, effectively blocking the plungers path, which again will destroy a 2 dollar thrust bearing on the bottom of the threaded bar that moves the plunger. If that bearing gets messed up the motor goes, and its just a world of pain from there. Drilling a couple of holes in the housing wont help this problem since the tank will get full at some stage, and it wont have anywhere to go.

We have pulled those things apart so many times that its not even funny, and im not really sure why we got them anymore since they seem to become inaccurate after a couple of days of harvesting. And you will have to run in samples anyway.

they also become inaccurate when the temperature drops at night, pushing the moisture through the roof on screen, without the grain even being wet. Take a sample of the last box you make one night and send it in with a truck to get it tested and see how far of your meter are. Its scary.

I even heard rumors about if you turn the lights on, on a 9760 the moisture meter wil start reading wrong instantly

but i cant say i got any evidence of that

1 - 9 of 9 Posts