The Combine Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how much more advantageous it is (if at all) to purchase a 9760 STS over a 9660 STS for running a 12 row corn head in 250 bushel corn? Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Separator size (shoe, rotor) on the 96 and 97 are the same. The 97 has more HP, heavier drives and larger grain tank. Except for power and grain tank cap. you would not notice much of a difference.

Have not been around 98's, but I think separator size is the same on them also.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Put a 12 row on each machine, head into any fairly high yielding corn, and power each out. You'll find out really quick what that extra horsepower gets you on that structure. The 9660 will power out and still be keeping most of the grain in, with the 9760 you'll have your head stuck up the back wondering where the extra guy with the scoop shovel came from.

Corn is about the easiest threshing crop you can harvest, extra power comes in handy at times in soybeans.

9660 is by far the most balanced machine in the STS lineup and the one to buy in that lineup with the primary crop being corn.....unless there is a ego to satisfy with the more horsepower bit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree that the 9660 seems to be the ideal combine. We used to run 9650's with 30% chips in them. However we went up to 9760's because of the resale. A lot of harvesters run 96x0's, but it seems like farmers are more interested in the 97x0's. When it comes to resale value, we kinda try to follow what our dealer is interested in. I honestly don't think buying either combine will leave you unsatisfied.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Grain tank is the SAME on all 3 models now. ..so is every other specification other than HP.
There is NOTHING that offerered on the 98 that you can not get on the 96.

That being said, I chose a 97 just to have more power when I needed it. The price jump to the 98 did not justify the same HP increase and I feel that in most situations the rest of the combine would be come limiting anyway before HP.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Separator size (shoe, rotor) on the 96 and 97 are the same. The 97 has more HP, heavier drives and larger grain tank. Except for power and grain tank cap. you would not notice much of a difference.

Have not been around 98's, but I think separator size is the same on them also.
Everyone keeps talking about more hp in a 9760 vs a 9660. Don't both of these machines have a 9.0L engine? How does the 9760 have more power?

This is resurrection of an old thread but I can't find this info anywhere.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
06 was the first year of the 9.0l in the combines. Same motor yes in 97 and 96. Engine programming determines the hp in each.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
06 was the first year of the 9.0l in the combines. Same motor yes in 97 and 96. Engine programming determines the hp in each.
So is there a way to "chip" or reprogram engine to match the specs of the 9760?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
So is there a way to "chip" or reprogram engine to match the specs of the 9760?
Absolutely. I have a 9660 and a 9770. Have never done it to my 9660 but have been tempted and maybe will at some point. Their are several chips or you could also do a reprogram.

·
Registered
328 Posts
This guy was talking about corn. What about wheat, canola, barley and peas? Would there be a difference in the 2 machines then?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Where you really notice the difference is in tougher to thrash crops like wheat, or when it is a bit tough or getting dark. 35' in front of a 97 is a good match whereas it is I think a little too much in good crops with a 96. Also,when unloading on the go, you better slack off a bit on the 96. There must be 40-50hp difference and I think I'm going to chip them so they are the same.

Fergy, the only other piece of advise is to instal a high inertia feed accelerator.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
I finally found an article on the JD website that shows some of the specs. The 9760 has 35 more hp boost than the 9660. Otherwise everything else is identical.

The one I bought has all the options that were available at the time. It also has the rice accelerator. We changed out the accelerator in our 9750 a couple years ago and put in one from Precision Farm Parts and that made a HUGE difference. Totally different combine after that.

With this one having the rice accelerator I'm not sure if its worth the change?

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Anybody know if I'm going to see the same benefit on the 9660 as we did on the 9750 by installing a PFP feed accelerator?

·
Registered
2 Posts
8.1l 9.0l

possibly might be wrong but i am pretty sure the 9660 had the last of the 8.1l in it with common rail (the one with the manual lift pump). where as the 9760 had the 9.0l engine.

but yeah your right the hp is determined by software if the engines are the same.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Later model machines probably have 9.0 L engines with EGR. At Ekotuning we can tune 96x0 machines up to 97x0 levels or a little more. Our dealers are tuning a lot of S670 and 9770 machines as well. Our +50 hp tune outperforms competitors chips. Many operators are removing chips in favour of tuning. Our tunes are application specific. Not one chip for a tractor, sprayer and combine. When we tune a combine we use a combine specific file.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
possibly might be wrong but i am pretty sure the 9660 had the last of the 8.1l in it with common rail (the one with the manual lift pump). where as the 9760 had the 9.0l engine.

but yeah your right the hp is determined by software if the engines are the same.
Yes I should have mentioned. I have a 9660 with a 9.0l
Later model machines probably have 9.0 L engines with EGR. At Ekotuning we can tune 96x0 machines up to 97x0 levels or a little more. Our dealers are tuning a lot of S670 and 9770 machines as well. Our +50 hp tune outperforms competitors chips. Many operators are removing chips in favour of tuning. Our tunes are application specific. Not one chip for a tractor, sprayer and combine. When we tune a combine we use a combine specific file.
What would the cost be roughly to tune my 9660sts

1 - 19 of 19 Posts