The Combine Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just at the regina farm show looking at aftermarket threshing parts for my 9770, im just wondering do threshing elements,speed accelerator,and rear beater and different chopper blades make a big difference in its performance

·
Registered
23 Posts
we put a rear beater in one of ours last year. makes a big difference in wheat in the evening. no banging and .3 to .5 faster in good yielding wheat with 30 ft. headers. put one in the other one this winter.

·
Premium Member
2,611 Posts
I thought the only thing to hold back speed was when the tailings plug on a deere. Or when you run out of power and lug the engine.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I just don't understand what "banging" occurs with a discharge beater, or how the beater allows you drive faster. Never had the feed accelerator or discharge beater ever compromise my speed. Also have never plugged the feed accelerator on a 70 series, and the discharge better once...took five minutes to unplug. I guess in Canada you must combine is some awful conditions. Still don't see how they hold back your speed.
I can see how it could slow flow down through the whole machine, if you are constipated you don't have much of an appetite. Not that it's a huge problem, but that doesn't mean there is not room for improvement.

·
Registered
23 Posts
on combines here if you check the tines on the rear of the rotor they are worn more than the tines further forward which means straw is is being impeded from flowing through. we also put a speed up kit on the rear beater. seems to make quite a difference in tough conditions. these parts are from precision in north dakota

·
Registered
724 Posts
We kept breaking rear separator grates because the material wasn't getting out the discharge beater fast enough. So it would pile up at the back of the rotor and push the grates out. Ended up bending a frame rail from that happening. We have a Kuchar discharge beater now and all is good.

·
Premium Member
2,611 Posts
Nope, Deeres tailings augers plug in my area. But never drove an s series. Did talk to an owner that went from 9650sts to a S680. Same problem. Local dealer has a pile of precleaners in a warehouse. Only thing to help with the problem is pulling them out that I heard of. Another "you guys are the only ones" problem. If I hit a patch of kochia I couldn't go slow enough to keep the 9770sts from plugging. Didn't have to be 1 bushel per acre, it would plug. I will run a 7230 this year largely because of this. The neighbors that run 9230s never had this problem that I knew of. Not a huge problem, I averaged over 1000 bu/hr and would plug about 1400bu/hr on the tailings in normal cutting.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Farmerjones,. Great post of bull ****. You are the only person ever to combine a million acres and have never cooked that pile of **** accelerator belt or plugged the rotor. That is an amazing accomplishment. Congrats. The rest of us are perhaps not running it right. I love many things about a 9770, but that belt and the external chopper are not one of them.

·
Premium Member
2,611 Posts
Really, a local dealer has a pile of precleaners. The precleaner before the chaffer. Again, we are the only ones with this problem as John Deere tells us. No idea why. Wish someone could tell us. Hopfully the newer S series have this fixed.
I have very few weeds in my crop. Only time I ran into a problem is when cutting for another person. Hit a hill top with kochia a couple times and started going around them. I have piles all over the antelope loved me for from cleaning out the tailings return auger. Talked with a number of people and had no answer. Gave up when going through a warehouse at the dealer looking for other parts and saw the precleaners laying there in a pile. Had to ask, "why are those there, is there an improvement?" Then heard the story I am not the only one, no improvement. They were all from STS, this was last year. Glad it works for you. Still 1400bu/hour wheat is not bad before it plugs. Glad they work so good for you. I am leasing the combines from machinery link. 3 years on a case for now. Then I'll see. Eaither way, much better than running my 9650walker over all the acres and not being able to seed winter wheat in time. They have twice the capacity in the wheat I cut.

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
If you're plugging the tailings auger a lot in non-weedy crops, I wonder if that means that there are some rotor settings you can change to fix that. If you think about it, high tailings loads really means the threshing is incomplete, or not happening properly, except for maybe exceptional patches of weeds. I can't speak for John Deere combines, and Case's rethresher design is different than JDs, but on our machines, we run the bottom sieves no narrower than the top sieves. Things like whitecaps can't be solved in the rethresher, so we have to work with the rotor to do that. Speed it up, slow it down, adjust clearances.

I think on combines with returns right to the cylinder or rotor, it masks the problem of incomplete threshing the first go around. It's possible that some of the returns end up going straight out the back of the combine, while others do get ground up again in the rotor. Either way, if the combine was able to thresh the first go around, there wouldn't be any tailings at all. The purpose of the sieve is only to use air to separate grain from chaff.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
What is a pile of pre-cleaners? What are you talking about?

I'm sorry, but this just seems too hard to believe. I mean we've harvested tens of thousands of acres for decade all over the midwest, and we've combined kochia weeds that were outrageous with out any issues of plugging with a STS. You wanna talk about plugging, Case's rethraher won't work in those conditions as all! We run the two brands side by side every day (S670 and 8230 now), and we've had to pull the Case out of certain fields with weeds because the rethrasher can't cope. Some basic adjustments can contain the problem on a Deere. Good luck with your Case...that rethrasher in weeds has to be the worst current design out there...just ask some custom harvesters, this is not a secret. Belt will slip or opening into sieve area completely plugs with green weeds. As far as the S680, if they don't have the new updated sieve and software then it was a problem....it's had been greatly improved. Not solved, but greatly improved. It's hard to believe this is your experience when we have dealt this this issues for years without problems. Go over to the Case forum and ask how green weeds and their paddle rethrasher works out....poor at best based on our years and years of experience.
Good grief! Has nobody ever heard of preharvest RUp or a swather? I wouldn't hammer that crap through my machine.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Too wet for a sprayer but just right for a combine with 450 bushel tank.
Would you want to wait the extra week for the burn down to work with thunderstorms that could wipe out your crop almost every day? Most guys that had weeds start flushing early got it sprayed but now it's almost past the point of no return. It was a perfect storm this year, crappy thin wheat so the weeds had no competition and lots of rain late that postponed harvest past when the weeds flush.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I had to pull the pre cleaner out of my 9870 last year to try and get some capacity in canola. We think the pre cleaner would have a solid pod mat on it and the foot of wide open chaffer underneath it was allowing to much air through it and carrying the canola out the back.

A friend of mine runs all new deeres every year and the engineers come up from the US almost every year to find out what they are wrecking. They never believe the straw we are trying to jam through the machine. I would think some of our conditions are closer to what they deal with in Europe than anything down south.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Just fooling with you flyboy. I know you have to adjust and do what you have to do. By the way if Canada has 3 times normal rain and the US is wet, somewhere there has to be a bad drought?

·
Registered
514 Posts
In dry dry canola and flax the precleaner is detrimental. Crop just sits on it due to less wind.(light seed). In wheat it might help a bit. Took them out of our 9870 left them in the 690's. I also never plugged the rotor, discharge beater or feed accel in the two years I've drove one. Both 9870's and S690's had the rice feed accel. It combined with smooth feeding and desicating really makes it a non issue for us. I really believe in the rice accelerator.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Just fooling with you flyboy. I know you have to adjust and do what you have to do. By the way if Canada has 3 times normal rain and the US is wet, somewhere there has to be a bad drought?
It's fine, I know it's more snow storms then tstorms that you guys deal with at wheat harvest. Every where has its struggles. Our drought just broke 3 weeks ago after 3 years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts