The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade a bit, I'm running an 05 9760 now. Should I steer clear of an 08 9770 with 800hrs? The engine problem's that have been showing up makes me leary of buying something out of the warranty period. Maybe better to go to a 07 9760??
Thanks

·
Registered
176 Posts
Instead of upgrading a bit why don't you upgrade a whole bunch and at the same time leave those engine worries to someone else-

If it ain't red, just leave it in the shed!!

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
The 9770's had the 9L in them didn't they? What were the problems with them? I never heard of any.

When we were dealing on a combine this year, we were told to stay away from the 60 series and go to a 70 series or a 50 series even for that matter. Just told that the 60 series were slouches. Our neighbor had a 9860 that was junk but that was the only one around here like that.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't ask what color of combine I should be running. I already know that answer. I have a green one because my dealer is close. And I have really no problems with it. It does as good a job in all the crops I grow as my neighbors 7010.

There is a few guys around here that run red, but I don't see why anyone would want to drive over 100 miles to their nearest dealer to get parts, when I only have to drive 20.

Does this count as "feeding a troll"?

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
so does anybody know if this problem is just on the 08's or are the 09's giving problems?

·
Registered
289 Posts
In think it's just in the 9L engine. I could be wrong. It doesn't happen right away either, it happens right around when the warranty expiring.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
If you guys are afraid of the engine / warranty problems, just buy a powergard protection plan on the machine, I mean another $5 or $10k on a $250,000 purchase is a drop in the bucket and you're covered... plus you can finance the powergard warranty with the combine through John Deere Credit.

·
Registered
243 Posts
So I should buy an extended warranty because the head gasket craps out at 800 to 1000 hours?

Or the Piston on number 5 or 6 goes thru the block?

I will stay with my old as sh!t 9600 with 4000 hours!

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
why not spend the extra 2.5% to guarantee if anything does happen to go wrong, you're completely covered? would you buy a new $250k house without some type of insurance, heck no, so why take the chance with a $250k combine?

You stay with your 9600 (which is a great combine, don't get me wrong) but I will get more done with an STS bar none and by this I mean Day in and Day out averaged not in certain conditions.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Not a JD man but all the JD men I know that have ran them for years tell me a 9610 will push that 9760 pretty d**n hard and sucks way less fuel

·
Registered
243 Posts
We are mostly corn and #2 at that. So with a STS we don't gain anything important to us. The 9600 may grind the corn a little more but it stays in the machine.
I just think there is an issue with the Deere motors and I am not a Fan. Our 8120 at 700 hours had the crank go out, granted at 2500 hours we had to do anything else to it.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Quote:Not a JD man but all the JD men I know that have ran them for years tell me a 9610 will push that 9760 pretty d**n hard and sucks way less fuel

less fuel, yes.
a 9610 pushing a 9760 at all, thats a big negative.

·
Registered
243 Posts
less fuel, yes.
a 9610 pushing a 9760 at all, thats a big negative.

In Corn it is not far fetched as it sounds....Beans we crawl compared to a STS....Actually in beans it maybe closer to going backwards....Corn we will give it a run, a huge run. Anybody can push the stick full tilt, I am talking about keeping it in the machine and still going fast!

And also running the engine to 4000 hours with a rod thru the side or needing to machine the block!

Don't get me wrong there are some good Deere engines out there, but the newer bigger blocks are not among them.

·
Registered
778 Posts
In Corn it is not far fetched as it sounds....Beans we crawl compared to a STS....Actually in beans it maybe closer to going backwards....Corn we will give it a run, a huge run. Anybody can push the stick full tilt, I am talking about keeping it in the machine and still going fast!

And also running the engine to 4000 hours with a rod thru the side or needing to machine the block!

Don't get me wrong there are some good Deere engines out there, but the newer bigger blocks are not among them.

How can a walker be that bad in beans? I ran my 9600 next to a 9750 last fall in 40bpa soys, both with 930s and the limiting factor was always the header. We both did 4mph all day. The only way an STS could've done more would be with a larger head but then my 9600 felt like it want 35ft as well.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts