The Combine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The feeder chain on the 9770 has slipped a tooth on the lefthand side twice this harvest. Is this a symptom of a bigger problem or does it just happen occasionally by hitting a rock or slugging through some canola piles? It's adjusted properly and evenly but am wondering if there's anything else that may be wrong with it.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I'm with Swoosher... had a set of sprockets installed by a previous owner once with one backwards and out of time. It's very difficult to see from the usual observation points at the doors, and I didn't find it until I put a straight edge on them with the header off...after we broke the feeder chain. Tightening might help, but definitely make sure those sprockets are aligned properly... half a cog out isn't easy to spot.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
And what the **** is a canola beaver hut??
Occasionally, due to tough conditions or operator error or etc. the canola will stick on the knife or won't go through the center hole on the swather while cutting. Usually if it's caught early enough it just leaves a lump which slugs through the combine with a grunt. If they are bad enough, they can be large (have seen as big as 4' in height) and the stems sticking out in every direction resemble a beaver hut, and they go through the combine about as easy too:eek:

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
The trick to dealing with beaver huts is to trap the beavers out of the field before you plant (well, actually it's making the guy on the swather clean up his own messes, but that's another story). Of course in Canada you have to understand that all wildlife are considered to be Crown assets. Just a cautionary note, since we really are talking about the Queen's beaver....

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have found chain jumping can also be caused when straw is a bit tough. It can build up just in front if the top sprocket, make the chain run very tight and eventually cause the chain to jump. You can clear it by reversing feeder house for 20-30 sec.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.