The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Lots of questions.
How come you have the bottom sieve open so much, is the sample clean?
Is it a easy shelling, clean corn to harvest?
Does the cleaning system work better and/or more efficient than the older, slower one?
Can you get more bu/hr through the 70 series than the 60?
How is the added power, noticable?
Do you think that a 9870 would be any more productive with more power and ICC?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Yes questions, only thing i have seen is in very wet conditions with corn the precleaner will build up with trash, it is only in the very early hours, about the first hour of combining. In Nebraska we have alot of rain and humid this time of year.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Anybody ever noticed that when you buy a $250,000 machine you get it with $10 mirrors on it! Why can't deere come up with a way to mount there mirrors so you can actually see out of them instead of the vibrating blurr. Sorry for the RANT I just can't believe deere didn't do something about the mirrors on the 70 series. I guess they will all have backup cameras sometime anyways.

·
Super Moderator
3,832 Posts
Quote:Anybody ever noticed that when you buy a $250,000 machine you get it with $10 mirrors on it! Why can't deere come up with a way to mount there mirrors so you can actually see out of them instead of the vibrating blurr. Sorry for the RANT I just can't believe deere didn't do something about the mirrors on the 70 series. I guess they will all have backup cameras sometime anyways.
Wow something I don't complain about. This is likely caused by tire vibration, a product of tread, ground conditions, tire air pressures and speed. Since it's new check manual than tire pressures (easily could have been overlooked) adjusting for header weighs. You could also try running slightly more say, 10%,air in left front tire(s) (combines are generally slightly heavier on the left side especially with auger out and running) but more importantly it may upset the frequency. Sometimes a particular combination just has the wrong resonant frequency and limited predictability. I hope that's not the case because as far as a cheap and easy solution your well .......screwed.

Don

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm running a 9870 and a 612 stalkmaster corn head this year. Have about 200 sep. hrs. on it so far and a ways to go if it quits raining. More impressed with the head than the combine at this point. The 600 series head is flawless the only thing I don't like about the chopping part is that it windrows the trash to the right side of the head so if you go back and forth you get a trashy strip on the right side and a bare strip on the left. As far as the combine I ran 9860's before and it's a slight impovement over that but the shoe area is still to small to compete with the other guy's. The precleaner extension doesn't do much and the increased fan speed helps but doesn't make up for it all. Haven't had any problems with the clean grain elevator, that will keep up fine but can still throw grain out the back. I really like the command center but that doesn't get more harvested in a day. You just can't beat square inches in the shoe area and that there sill lacking.

·
Registered
321 Posts
jdmidwest,

Tell me some more on the 600 corn heads - do they pull harder/easier than a 90 series? Do they take in less trash? Do they still build up with trash? Any mechanical problems? I am seriouly thinking of ordering one for next yr. and you're one of the few I have found that is running one. Any info. will be great!!!

Thanks,

jd

·
Registered
37 Posts
hey JD,
I ran a 612 non chopping for a couple of weeks before the stalkmaster head showed up so have run them both. As far a power the chopping head in healthy stalks takes alot of power but the non chopping does't require any more. They are heavy and you can tell. As far as the feeding goes never once have I had to leave the seat for trash build up or fluff. I've picked some really down corn this year and it went right in. The maintainence is improve as well. I truely think that this head will stand up to any ones on the market and for you I think you would really be impressed by it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey jdmidwest
how many acres do you have on the 612C and did you have to flip knives already.

We are also running a 9870 with a 12 row 30 inch harvestec chopping corn head and just love the combine. We ran a 9860 with the same head last year and averaged about 4.2 mph and this year I am averaging about 5.5 mph to 6.5 mph but you are correct the the cleanning shoe is still to small.

·
Registered
588 Posts
On our harvestec we can get 2000 acres a side on the knives , so that would be 3000 on a 12 row. This is then doubled when you flip them. The last 8 row we just traded in had over 5000 acres and still on the original gathering chains, and the dealer sold it with the old ones still in it as I believe they still have another year at least (2000 acres).
I was going to have my JD dealer order a chopper knife in to see how they compare to the Lunds on the harvestec.
Hey crusty, how do like the power shift gearbox for the header drive? I think this is a better idea than a variable speed due to it's simplicity. The thing deere SHOULD have done though, is run a drive line directly to the feeder house from the gear box, instead of that huge expensive belt.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I do like the powershit transmision for the header drive, we havent had any trouble with it and that is what counts. The reason that they run a belt instead of a gearbox is becuase a belt uses less hp then a gearbox and I wouldn't worry about the belt because it is a very heavy belt and I have never seen it slip once.

·
Registered
37 Posts
hey crusty,
due to not getting the chopping head at the start of harvest I've only got about 1500 acres on it with about 2000 to go. The knives are starting to show some wear but still cutting good so not really sure when to flip them. I to like the powershift trans. for the header drive and besides a few electrical problems have not had any poblems with the machine yet. One question I have for you is how do you feel about the head windrowing the trash to the right side of the head. Wondering how to handle the trash strips next spring. We are really really wet here and don't know how much tillage we will get done this fall.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey jdmidwest
Our harvestec corn head windrowed straw to the right last year and it would plug our plow. After the field was tilled you could still see where the right side of the head went every time. This year they came out with deflector shields for each row so now the head spreads the straw very evenly. About the wet condition why dont you get some 800/38 duals, i drive anywhere with our 9870. I have pictures on this site under fall harvest at Spring Water Acres

·
Registered
37 Posts
crusty,
I have 20.8-42 duals on and I can get through most everything, it just sucks because the mud screws up grain carts, semi's, and really tears up things. I know it come a time where you don't have a choice but you sure can't beat a dry fall. It was wet before, now we just got over 3" this weekend and talking 80% chance on Wed. and only 60 degrees for highs all week. We just broke a record for the wettest Oct. in history for this area.

·
Registered
148 Posts
jdmidwest
We just bought a 1594 brent grain cart this fall with 4 900/32 trelleborg tires on it and it handles the mud very very well. We have an 8430 on it and the tractor leaves more tracks in the mud than the grain cart does. We are also very wet and having a hard time getting tillage done becuase the worst thing you can do is till a field to wet.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Hey jdmidwest, I agree with crusty, get a set of Michelin 800 duals and 750 rears, you will hardly make a mark. Michelin also makes a 650 that goes right on your rims you have now, they are XM-108's. If you have enough tire, and run the pressure down where Michelin remommends, you will float.
Hey crusty, how many acres do you have on your harvestec?
The next step for us would be the 12 row, but my main concern is the axle load of a combine full of corn with a 12 row head. That is ALOT of weight. Right now we can make the back of a corn field in 225 bu corn with a 8 row and 2100 foot rows with the standard bin. Going to a 12 row really changes the dynamics of harvest corn for us. The buggy would have to hold a full round, and in our best fields it won't if we are cutting 30'.
The next issue would be the unload auger on the buggy would have to be fast enough to unload a full bin and get back under the combine BEFORE he gets to the back of the field. I know this can be done, but things have to tick along pretty good with 1 buggy supporting a 12 row machine in high yielding corn.
Crusty, do you run 1 buggy or 2?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts