The Combine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for a 9770, used both during harvest, both are having power problems. Cutting 165 bu. corn, 16.5-17 moisture, could only run 3.5 mph without rpm's going under 2000 on the 9770 w/1293. The JD house doens't know what to do as "this is the first time they have seen this" and are pushing us to sign paperwork, but we are balking until they come up with a plan. The 9770 was completely serviced before delivery. 9770 has about 500 engine hrs. Has anyone else seen power problems w/9770 and if so, what did JD figure out? We used to cut 200 bu. corn w/9600 w/1243 head at 3 mph and had an '04 9760 and leased another '06 9760 in '07 cutting 200+ bu. corn with no power problems.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
A laptop with Service Advisor and the ECU program from JD, a interface to hook up and down load it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have not had any experience with the 9770 but I have with 9860's.Have had two 9860 and JD corp drug their feet .It took 2 yr. to get the first 98 up to acceptable HP . By then I had so much wear in the combine my dealer talked me into trading .Took delivery on the second 9860 ran it one hour and called the dealer same problem no HP.Two years later no resolution. JD Corp answer buy another new combine 9870 with an additional 100 HP with the 12 row chopping head. My local dealer worked his butt off trying to get things right but JD CORP let us both down . It will be quite some time before I buy a motor made by John Deere.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I presume that you have checked fuel filters .what about fuel consumption? what are your combine settings? Expand on what Don Boles asked.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Maybe check for fuel line obstructions. We had a lot of plastic shavings in our sediment bowl the first season we had our 9870. However, the computer should be throwing you a code for low fuel pressure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tracorearl,
We experienced the same thing with our 9670 cutting beans last fall. Only happened once, but with no good explanation. No bearings bad, nothing torn up. Only thing we could figure was possibly a piece of metal trash (i.e. drink can, etc) could have been injested and caused a spark. The discharge beater was smoking hot! Scary!

·
Super Moderator
3,464 Posts
Tracorearl,
We experienced the same thing with our 9670 cutting beans last fall. Only happened once, but with no good explanation. No bearings bad, nothing torn up. Only thing we could figure was possibly a piece of metal trash (i.e. drink can, etc) could have been injested and caused a spark. The discharge beater was smoking hot! Scary!
Not metal.
Vines wrapping around the back of the rotor heating up.
Two solutions, a paddle kit to kick the vines out and don't run rotor under 300.

Don

·
Registered
162 Posts
had the same problem with our 9570, sad part is that it took all fall to figure it out, and by the time it was fixed we only had about 500 acres left to cut. It would run fine sometimes, then other times it would smoke, have no power, and a couple different low fuel pressure codes came up. Went through a lot of fuel filters before the problem was found. Dont know where the plastic shavings came from yet??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts